Thread: Design question

Design question

Long time lurker, first time posting. I am a hobbyist woodworker, and have a design question. I am building a number of 8 foot tall storage cabinets that will vary 16-24 wide, and all 38 inches deep. Odd I know, but for specific purposes. To keep weight down to what my wife and I can handle, I am planning to build them with no backs, but adding a few cleats to prevent racking. These will all be connected to each other as well as a sturdy T&G plywood wall via the cleats. Do you see any issues with not having a back on these?

Thanks in advance!
    Steve

They don't need a back once well fastened to the walls. If pre-assembled they will be heavy and awkward. You might consider kd fasteners like Lamello Clamex S and a ladder base to ease installation. Loose panels will be easier to scribe if necessary; cabinets with backs don't need scribing except where it shows.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 02-23-2023 at 1:16 PM.

Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't even aware of the Lamello connectors, but I will be looking into them more seriously as my next project will be floor to ceiling built-ins in our primary bedroom. Was planning to look at a decent way to assemble those in place. The shop cabinets will be only feet from the build location and we can manage to slide them around for installation and I was planning to use adjustable steel levelers with a hole through cabinet bottom to allow for the small undulations in my concrete floor.

Individual height adjusters will work but I find a ladder base under a run of cabinets far easier to level than individual boxes, which only need to be set on the platform and screwed off. Sliding a tall case around on legs on an uneven floor can be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Individual height adjusters will work but I find a ladder base under a run of cabinets far easier to level than individual boxes, which only need to be set on the platform and screwed off. Sliding a tall case around on legs on an uneven floor can be a pain.
    I'm sure that's true, but have never done a ladder base. I do plan on doing a base for the cabinets in the bedroom.

1 more question. I built a few 4 foot tall stile and rail built doors on other shop cabinets with maple frames that have stayed straight for 5 plus years now. Is that about as tall as I should plan on reliably staying straight? And I do know there are no guarantees with how hardwoods behave over time. If I could do single 8ft doors, I would prefer that but had little hope they would stay straight.

By the way, my shop is climate controlled year round so no temp, and little humidity change year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Chew View Post
    I built a few 4 foot tall stile and rail built doors on other shop cabinets with maple frames that have stayed straight for 5 plus years now. Is that about as tall as I should plan on reliably staying straight? And I do know there are no guarantees with how hardwoods behave over time. If I could do single 8ft doors, I would prefer that but had little hope they would stay straight.

By the way, my shop is climate controlled year round so no temp, and little humidity change year round.
    For tall doors, thicker is better. For thin doors, shorter is better. I have made some 3/4" five piece doors over 60" that stayed flat but I would not guarantee it. Good acclimation and milling of a stable species tilts the odds in your favor. Here's a warranty page from a good quality maker of cabinet components referencing flatness and overall dimensions https://walzcraft.com/warranty-53056/ that might shed light on the subject. Given your shop conditions if you started with flat mdf 3/4" x 24" x 96" and finished it equally both sides there's a good chance it would stay flat. Two 4' high doors would be a better bet.

Thanks again. 2 4 ft doors it will be. That was already my plan and I'll stick with it. I do use 5 piece doors when they are that tall and have gotten pretty comfortable with the process. I just wish I could dial in the router table setup process a bit faster.

I have had the maple in the shop for over a year now, knowing I would eventually get to these cabinets. It's mostly milled and has stayed flat over that time. Some final dimensional milling to do, but minor.

Appreciate the good feedback!