Thread: Stanley #3 Type 12

Stanley #3 Type 12

This old gal has been with me a long time. She looks pretty decent for 100 years old. It's a great user and for those so inclined could be a candidate for a Spangler style refurb to as new condition.

A Stanley #3 Type 12 (1919-1924) small smoother. Lots of patina but no chips, cracks, or breaks in body, tote, or knob. The bottom is in good shape, with a few scratches one expects from a plane this old. The original Sweetheart logo iron and matching chip breaker is included. The iron has lots of life. The top of the iron has evidence that someone wacked it with a a hammer a few times but it's not mushroomed. Also included is a Ron Hock Iron and Chip breaker in O1 Steel.

SOLD

Last edited by Rob Luter; 02-23-2023 at 11:02 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I love patina. I myself have 66 years worth. I believe I have your address but I’ll pm shortly

Type 12s are my favorite. I'm working the last of the iron on this one's sister.

Sold in 11 minutes. A new record.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Type 12s are my favorite. I'm working the last of the iron on this one's sister.
    I'm a type 12 fan too. At one point I had a pretty good matched set: #3, #4, #4 1/2, #5, and #6. Good users all. Now all sitting on someone else's bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I'm a type 12 fan too. At one point I had a pretty good matched set: #3, #4, #4 1/2, #5, and #6. Good users all. Now all sitting on someone else's bench.
    I'm a weirdo. I like a nice, tall knob.

I believe the only difference between a type 12 and type 14 is the high knob. I have my own stash of home made totes and I also turn my own knobs so I change out the low ones for high one. I am starting to run low on the big blade adjusting wheels but I prefer the big wheels also.
    Tom