Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to ground Dewalt 735 Planer

How to ground Dewalt 735 Planer

Hi,

I recently bought a dewalt 735 planer and then a 4 in to 2 1/2in adapter so it could fit on my shop vac. The adapter has a big note saying to make sure it gets grounded to avoid any static shock and from what I'm reading a lot of people get zapped even without an adapter. Should I just drill a small hole in the adapter and lay some grounding wire through the adapter and let the other side hang on the floor? What's the best way to avoid getting zapped?

Thanks in advance!

Luis

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't drill any holes in my hose. When I first installed my 4" PVC duct work for my DC system the static was pretty strong. I got a couple of mild zaps. After about a month, the static disappeared. The same was true of my shop vac hose, once it got a bit dusty, the static went away. My suggestion would be to place your hose in a plastic trash bag with some saw dust and shake it up a bit. That should get rid of the majority of your static.

The other problem you are going to encounter is that planing creates lots of chips. Unless your shop vac has a really big container, it is going to fill up quickly.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I believe it is telling you to ground the dust collection hose...lots of static builds up in them and can be legitimately dangerous. IIRC you run a ground wire around the hose and ground it at the wall end.

Are you actually getting static shocks now? The issue Lee pointed out will probably be a bigger problem causing clogs and full vac canisters.

I’m on my second DW735 and I had shock issues on my first one. In my own case, I solved the shock issue on the first one by running bare copper wire from the metal chassis of the planer. I did not connect it to anything on the dust collector end. Connecting it to the metal chassis on the planer and spiral wrapping around the dust hose seemed to do the trick.

However it seemed like once I switched to a segmented cutter head, the static shock issues went away. I removed the wiring and no longer had issues so I can’t help but wonder if the long spiral wood strips versus tiny chips makes any difference. May have no impact. Who knows. On my current setup, I have a spiral head, and use 5” flex hose and 6” PVC in route to my Oneida dust collector but knock on wood, I’ve had no issues.

C63FC9E1-0B5E-41E7-A7D0-40888D2D7346.jpeg
    Picture of one of the small chassis screws.

DISCLAIMER: I’m recommending consulting your electrician if you are not comfortable running wiring.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 02-22-2023 at 9:30 AM.

I never had any issues with shocks, although my cyclone dust collector is grounded. I did ground the cyclone section to the collection can via small screws and a wire. When I drove the machine screws into the cyclone and the can top, I sealed them with silicone sealant over the top (sealing the threads would likely defeat the grounding).

However, I would not recommend collecting planer shavings via a shop vac, at least not with a 2 1/2" hose and inlet. The volume of shavings will likely be too much to handle for a shop vac through a 2 1/2" hose. The hose will likely clog at some point, maybe multiple times during a session. A 4" hose and inlet to the collection device is probably the minimum you want. Since, to start, you don't seem to have a choice, I hope it works for you.

Just go 4 inch (very short run) to a shroud on a trashcan instead of the shop vac. The 735 self ejects the chips so it doesn't need suction (in this scenario).

You don't need a shop vac on a 735 planer. The internal blower will overwhelm it and will do no good. For short runs, just run the hose into a drum with some way for the air to escape.
    If you have a good dust collector, you can remove the blower fan and save the power. I think mine was drawing about 2.5 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Just go 4 inch (very short run) to a shroud on a trashcan instead of the shop vac. The 735 self ejects the chips so it doesn't need suction (in this scenario).
    Ive read this can kill the life of the planer.

I would setup a 2 stage system. You can use your shop vac to pull but I would look into running 4" to the bucket and use your 2-1/2" shop vac to pull

aluminum tape can be used to ground your line. The alternative would be to connect a 12 gauge stranded wire to the wire in the 4" flex if you go down that path and run it to a building ground. I made sure that all my flex has the wiring touching on either end, tool and metal ducting.

Sorry, confused. What's killing the life of the planer? Also, shop vac should be taken out of the picture completely imho - a 2 stage system will make it work even harder.

Based on other's comments over the years, a 4" port into trash can should be OK because the 735 does have an impeller so the chips will eject easily since there is nothing to stop them exiting the port. However, a lot of dust will be kicked into the air unless you cover the trash can and put the port through a 4" hole in the can cover. I should warn you, however, that the trash can will fill up quickly. Check it periodically to prevent it filling and backing the chips up into the planer. Planers put out a lot of chips. If the amount of planing is small, probably won't be a big deal. However, if you're planing a lot and taking the wood from 4/4 to 3/4" for example, there will be a lot of chips. If you could do it outside and just let the chips pile up behind the planer for later cleanup, that would be best. Or, if you can, purchase a dust collector that allows a 4" inlet. Dust collectors are a whole separate discussion though.

I used a piece of braided bare copper wire and wrapped it in a spiral fashion around the dust collector hose and led it to an exposed copper pipe visible in the ceiling of my shop. Problem solved.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    The issue is static charge built up in the collection system. The maker of the adapter has no Idea what type of machinery the adapter would be applied to but they are covering their butts should there be a fire created associated with static discharge from the specific plastic compound they used to create the part.
    this should help with you general question https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1RWjLP5QF0
    calabrese55

If you don't have the copper wire laying around, you can get a kit for $20.

Woodstock W1053 Grounding Kit for Dust Collection Systems https://a.co/d/cU10Ptp

As others have said, just wrap the wire around the fitting, then you can connect one end to the chassis screw that Greg Parrish pointed out using one of the crimp-on ring terminals.

That's what I did, at least. Seemed to solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Sorry, confused. What's killing the life of the planer? Also, shop vac should be taken out of the picture completely imho - a 2 stage system will make it work even harder.

I read at some point here that the DC hooked up helps keep line clear and the planer has less work to do, when the line clogs and the blower is pushing against it it strains the motor. Im not sure if it would strain it more than taking a bite out of maple but anything to help. I have no experience with this as mine when i had it was always hooked to DC. i guess if you only have a few feet of hose on it chances of clog are slim but 10' plus adds to the chance.