Thread: SuperMax 19-38

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ok, I've never heard of a "Tough Tool". I bought my 19-38 a couple years ago off CL. I just wasted a roll of 40 grit. When it came off the drum & started "thwap" sanding the inside of the housing, as the right side didn't clamp.

Does it help with the double finger/trying to clamp dance? It wasn't in the manualor the product diagrams I got, either...

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the confusion guys. This is a Jet product that helps with the Performax clip horrible-ness. Forgive me if I crucify the history . . . Jet bought the rights to make certain sanders of some sizes and formats, blah, blah, blah. The originators spun off and did the Supermax thing for other sizes and formats. The sanders are very similar, have common DNA with the Supermax continuing to evolve/improve and eventually being bought by Laguna. The Performax just sort of . . . continued. The tool is not required for the Supermax. It just makes things even easier; especially for those with large hands (or with arthritis like me ). I probably got most of that wrong and if so I apologize. The point is that an easily bent piece of 1/8" cold roll can make changing abrasives even easier than it already is.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had a 16-32 and now have the 25-50. I've never had a problem with the sandpaper. The spring clip is straightforward and not very difficult to use with nothing but my fingers.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I also make my own Tuff tool. I use shelf clips like the ones that fit into peg board. I've made 3 of them for 22-44 and a 37x2 Performax sanders I've owned. It's hard to get it just right. About 50% reject. But when you get the right bend it sits there holding everything for you.

On my 19-38 I have had no problem using just my fingers to change abrasives, after the first couple of times. At first it was a bit confusing keeping the roll tight on the drum and opening the clip and poking the end in all with just two hands, but now it's effortless. I'll have to pay attention next time I do it and see what my fingers are doing. Or maybe I shouldn't try to watch. I don't want to be like the centipede who could no longer walk after someone asked him which leg he stepped with first when starting to move.