Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuperMax 19-38

SuperMax 19-38

I posted a few days ago asking for opinions on the Woodmaster 26 inch drum sander...and folks seem to really like it. Before pulling the trigger, I'd like to know if any of the potential alternatives, like a new Supermax 19-38, have solved the issues I'm having with my 10-15 year old Jet 16-32 drum sander. Specifically, keeping the sanding drum parallel with the conveyor belt, and the pesky clip on the motor end for the paper. Just wondering if my old drum sander is a relic, and the newer version of it actually works well... I realize the Woodmaster is in a different league, but shipping and delivery to my shop will be difficult.
    Thanks for all responses,
    Izzy Charo

Blog Entries
    I guess I can only echo the reviews I read way back when. My experience since I bought mine in 2013 is as follows: the Supermax solves all those things that kept me from buying a drum sander . . . Table to drum alignment was spot on from the box and is easily adjusted. Dust collection is excellent despite being only one 4" port. Runs on 120v power. Oversize adjustments via the built in lever tilt are great. Paper changes are easy and reliable. I made my own "TufTool" from a bent piece of 1/8" steel rod which is helpful but not absolutely necessary.

TUFTool (1).jpgTUFTool (2).jpgTUFTool (3).jpg

In short it is all the things the Performax series should have been. I've been using it nearly daily for nearly a decade with no issues. Obviously I bought mine pre-Laguna takeover but imagine the machine retains its integrity. The newer, fancier, 16-32 has had some issues but I believe they have worked through them.

Losing the stand in favor of a base cabinet allows greater stability and storage options.

19-38-stand(24).jpg19-38-stand(25).jpgBelt Storage (3).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-21-2023 at 7:40 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've had the Supermax 25-50 for about a year. It presumably works the same but is just a bit bigger. Overall I'm happy with it. The drum is mostly parallel, not perfect but enough that I don't feel a compelling reason to fuss with it. The paper, after a short learning period, is easy to put on. It sands slower than I would like and you need to be careful how much you try to take off at once, especially with a finer paper. But that is probably true of any sanders. It is used MUCH more than I expected. Pretty much every project. So overall, it is a very good product.

Glenn, Thanks for the thorough review, and I do like your cabinet! Just to clarify, it sounds like you may have had an older Performax/Jet drum sander in the past....and you believe the new Supermax is indeed better at keeping the sanding head parallel with the conveyor belt? I find myself constantly having to re-adjust my older Jet 16-32.

I just purchased and set up mine. It was easy to assemble. Mine needed some slight adjustments after assembly, but they were easy to do. I’ve run some test samples through the sander and they went well. I have a project coming up which will put it to a more rigorous test. So far the sander gets my endorsement.

I bought a 19-38 in 2018 and it has been great. The clip is not hard to use after the first few times getting used to it. I haven't used the older ones to compare. I had to adjust mine a slight amount to get it parallel but it's stayed good after that, even through the process of being loaded up a ramp onto a bus, jostled around with a lot of other tools and supplies and rolled down onto the ground and up into the shop. Working by myself some of those transitions were bumpier and more abrupt than I would have preferred, but it did fine through it all. I would be lost without mine now, for the work I do.

Glenn
    Dont they come with that tool? I wasnt able to figure out how to use it, I just use my fingers

I have a 25-50 which I bought used and it has been excellent. SuperMax tech support was very knowledgeable and helpful when I needed help returning the pressure rollers to factory spec.

Lots of uses - I used to think my planer was a precision thicknesser, until I ran it through my drum sander for the first time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Charo View Post
    Glenn, Thanks for the thorough review, and I do like your cabinet! Just to clarify, it sounds like you may have had an older Performax/Jet drum sander in the past....and you believe the new Supermax is indeed better at keeping the sanding head parallel with the conveyor belt? I find myself constantly having to re-adjust my older Jet 16-32.
    The following is just my own experience and not intended as a statement on any particular machines from the past.

I do not have previous experience and the reason is the many. many, posts on forums about the evils of drum sanders. I had often found myself in situations where "if I just had a drum sander . . ." but was loath to buy into the many reported problems of these machines. I had seen some shop made solutions and even started down that road once upon a time.

Back in 2012 I started to see the 19-38 killing it in the bake-offs. Many issues like drum to table alignment, feed belt tracking, and most importantly paper change problems had been eliminated or minimized. I took the plunge in 2013. Of the many table alignment, feed belt, and paper change issues well reported on the previous generations . . . none presented. After nearly a decade of use I am still very happy with the unit. I will mention that when you finally wear out a feed belt, just bite down hard and buy the OEM belt. Others I tried proved to be ill suited to the task and were a waste of time and money. I use the machine near-daily so I speak from some level of experience. It is not a planer, it is a sander. When used as such it does its job pretty much perfectly.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought a (very slightly) used 19-38 a couple of years ago from an estate. It's a nice machine and does what I expect it to do. It does have the pesky clips for the abrasive, but I don't change with any frequency since the machine sees limited use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Glenn
    Dont they come with that tool? I wasnt able to figure out how to use it, I just use my fingers
    My recently acquired 16-32 came with the tool, and some useful instructions. Took a try or two to figure it out but it really does make working the inboard clamp easier since it both holds the clamp open and secures the sandpaper while you slip the end in place. Happy to send you the instructions if you didn't get any George.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Paul, I wouldn't mind having those instructions as the manual was missing for the unit i mentioned when I bought it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Paul, I wouldn't mind having those instructions as the manual was missing for the unit i mentioned when I bought it.
    Here are the Supermax TUF tool instructions, for whatever reason they don't seem to be included in the manuals on the supermax web site: Laguna Supermax TUF Tool Instructions.jpg

If the upload isn't readable, PM me and I'll send a proper file.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Here are the Supermax TUF tool instructions, for whatever reason they don't seem to be included in the manuals on the supermax web site: Laguna Supermax TUF Tool Instructions.jpg

If the upload isn't readable, PM me and I'll send a proper file.
    Thank you. I like to suffer longer than needed, but the finger method does kind of work. I probably should have looked this up sooner

I don't understand all the problems folks have with the inboard clip. The tuff tool works great used properly. It hooks the clip and then slides up on the drum over the paper and sits there by itself - hands free - as long as you need it to. Then insert the paper end (best to take the curl out of the paper first it needs to go straight in). Release the tuff tool - done. Start the drum and let it run a few seconds to make sure paper stays tight. Start sanding.