Thread: Used Shapers... again. PM TS120 w/ PF 43

Blog Entries

Used Shapers... again. PM TS120 w/ PF 43

Hi,

Hoping for some knowledge from this group as I'm still trying to get my hands on my first shaper / feeder. I found a used PM TS 120 w/ PF 43. It seems like an okay price.

I can not find any useful reviews on the feeder PF 43 (powermatic). It has 4 speeds: 13, 26, 33, 66 FPM

It's brethen PF 41 has 4 speeds: 13, 36, 43, 108 FPM

Why the big speed difference between the two feeders and which speeds do you tend to use on some examples (stiles and rails, door tenons, etc) I'd be using mine for everything and anything. I use my shop to do anything from cabinetry to furniture to carpentry. Lately, I've been getting more work for cabinetry projects.

The TS 120 itself seems pretty well built. I don't see having any issues with it. Large table, sturdy fence, plenty of power.
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 02-21-2023 at 8:39 AM.

I would buy the 43. 108 would be for something like cutting slots for splines.

It's not very often you'll benefit much from a feed rate greater than 66FPM so I wouldn't let that discourage you.

I agree with Mel and Brent
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Blog Entries
    The shaper should be a SAC imported by powermatic. I'd take the 43 over the 41, better yet run it off a vfd and get infinite speeds.