Thread: Wixey angle cube

Wixey angle cube

I have an ancient Wixey angle cube the seems the be acting up a little. I am going to replace it. I see other variations of this tool by different manufacturers. Any thoughts on which one to buy. Accuracy is the first priority.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

I have a 10 year old version from Igaging. It was always accurate until I dropped it last year and it was .3 deg off in one direction. I ordered a new one from Amazon and it was off more than my old one. Sent it back and the replacement was just as bad. Sent it back and ordered a Wixey and it was off by just as much. I am still using my old one. Long story short, wherever you buy one from make sure you can easily return it if it isn't accurate.

All my digitals are iGuaging brand and I've been pleased with them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Wixey. It works well and has been accurate. In addition, Mr. Wixey takes very good care of his customers when they need a hand. In my book, his service breaks any tie with another manufacturer. YMMV.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I have the original Beall Tilt Box, it is still working flawlessly after 15 years.

Be sure to check accuracy specification rather than resolution. Just because a unit displays 0.1 doesn't mean it as accurate than any other brand. Here is what Wixey advertises: "Note About Accuracy: The original Tilt Box was advertised as having a resolution of .05 and an accuracy of .1. While this was (and remains) true of many of the units, it is not, we have discovered with time, true of all of them, and so, for the sake of accuracy, we are now downgrading our claims to the more realistic .2 of a degree."

Here is what Igaging says:
    angle.jpg
    Note that their displays shows hundredths (0.01) of a degree, but the accuracy is only .2

Wixey accuracy is the same as the other two as seen below:
    wixey.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-20-2023 at 7:10 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I got a replacement several years ago because I wanted a backlit display. After using it I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did. It's surprising the number of times that you use it at a difficult angle. The new one is an Igaging unit. It seems to be about as accurate as I expected.

Blog Entries
    Beall Tilt Box has been my go-to for many years. I have an original and the new smaller version. Both work very well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Get one with as many decimal points to the right you can get. I've seen some boxes with only one decimal point. .1 degree can become a lot over 24". .04" in fact and that is over 1/32"

I bought a wixey maybe 2 years ago... still haven't used it.

I think mine is an iGaging. I don't use it a lot. However after my recent experience with Wixey they have my vote. First rate customer service. You deal directly with Barry Wixey. Even answers emails on weekends. It doesn't get better than that.