Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sawing HUGE logs

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Loeblein View Post
    I‘ve used my large chainsaw mill to cut a large black cherry log down to a cant size that would fit on a friends bandsaw mill which has hydraulics.
    That works if one just wants boards, but if it's a premium log and you want slabs...you need a mill with a bigger bite!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That works if one just wants boards, but if it's a premium log and you want slabs...you need a mill with a bigger bite!
    Or a bigger chainsaw. The widest slabs I've ever seen were cut with a chainsaw with a power head on both ends. Crazy wide, over 10 ft. So that's another on-site option for the OP, if he can find someone locally willing to do it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A portable Lucas mill is what one local concern uses for "embiggened" logs like that. They can set the frame up around the log without moving it and then do the deed. I do not know the particulars beyond that...I tried to get them out for a massive ash tree butt I wanted slabbed but I couldn't get it scheduled before we closed on the old property. I had to abandon that darn log.

That said, John Malecki north of Pittsburg PA has a very large bandmill (not portable) that can handle "yuge" logs like that. You'd have to find a way to get it there, of course.
    There is a slabbing attachment for that saw. https://www.lucasmill.com/Portable-T...ing-Attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    There is a slabbing attachment for that saw. https://www.lucasmill.com/Portable-T...ing-Attachment
    Yes, the resource I was trying to get out was set up specifically for slabbing. I was really, really, REALLY disappointed that it didn't happen as those slabs would have been 40+" wide. So that log sits and rots in a gully at the old property...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

5. There is a company in Kentucky making 70" and 96" wide bandsaw mills. You could probably try to find someone who has one near you. Or hell if you have access to big logs regularly buy one for yourself and make a killing selling huge slabs haha. Their name is Trucut
    22.jpg