Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new set of chisels

My new set of chisels

I bought a new set of chisels from Harbor Freight yesterday . Paid $11.98 for the set. I like these chisels. The seem to hold a cutting edge fairly well. Will they hold an edge as well as a premium chisel? NO, but I got a 1 1/2 inch chisel in the set and a Lie Nielsen 1 1/2 inch chisel sells for $150. For $138 dollars difference when I need a 1 1/2 chisel I will get by. Did I mention the other 5 included chisels.

They are great for other uses like, rough work, opening paint cans, and take the place of a card scraper for certain applications. I use them for any time a chisel would be a great tool to use but when I don't want to use my Two Cherries chisels.

At $11.98 and that is without a coupon they are an outstanding buy.

I also bought 4 6 inch F style clamps they had on sale for 3 dollars and some small change, each. (that is all they had on the display wall). When ever I go into a big box store I like to buy at least one clamp. It is amassing when you realize you have a lot of clamps with out breaking the bank. The cost is the same but it is spread out over time. Menards has some nice 12inch F style clamps for about $12 but I have enough of them for now. Anyway I have 4 clamps that can stay in the bottom of a draw and I may need them for one time a year from now but I have them. If you are doing a bent lamination sometime you will need a lot of clamps and they will do just fine.

Good buys and I just thought I would pass it along to some who would never thought about buying lesser quality than the best.

DSC04079.JPG DSC04080.JPG DSC04081.JPG
    Tom

Before assuming they won't "hold an edge", I would actually test them. The ones I have don't underperform.

I recently bought their carving set. Need a lot of work to set up but definitely useable. I actually liked them so much I went back and bought the more “deluxe” set. I like them even more.

Blog Entries
    The only way I've beat that price is buying them in junk shops when they are anywhere from 50¢ to a couple of bucks each.

Picked up a good drawer full of beater chisels that way.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This isn't my first set. And I do think they hold an edge better than I expected. Every one and his brother have different ideas of how an edge should be that is why I wrote seem to hold an edge. I do not think they under preform either, that is why I posted them. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Tom

The Harbor Freight chisels might be the same steel as the Two Cherries chisels.

I was just at Harbor Freight today.

https://www.harborfreight.com/05-gal...AaAlP9EALw_wcB

My spray bottle for use with waterstones to sharpen chisels stopped working, and so I upgraded to a pump sprayer for under $5.

I have probably 40 or 50 of those 6" clamps from HF. Bought them for the Morris chairs I made with the bent laminated arms. Great buy and they work great - use them a lot as a matter of fact.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

fwiw i saw these for $19.xx in the clearance area of a Lowes today

Jorgensen 3-Pack 12-in 1000lb Bar Clamp in the Clamps department at Lowes.com
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I have probably 40 or 50 of those 6" clamps from HF. Bought them for the Morris chairs I made with the bent laminated arms. Great buy and they work great - use them a lot as a matter of fact.
    The six inch are great. The 12 inch flex and bend when you look at them.

I remember the first time I saw a Harbor Freight store in the flesh. My first reaction was that it might be a brick and mortar version of the guy with the white van parked in the alley in the seedy part of town. Had images in my mind of shipping containers with broken locks strewn about.

Last week I bought a 12’x20’ fabric enclosure for the tractor from them. Glad I didn’t have to flag down the white van.

Tom, excellent report on the HF chisels. This is great information, especially for the young guys just starting out that have very little money but having a relatively full set of chisel sizes would be extremely useful to them.

When I was a college student working for a carpenter as a summer job, a pair of Stanley #60 chisels was more that a half a days pay for me, consequently I had a pair of Stanley Handy Man chisels that were LOTs cheaper. In fact, those were the only pair of chisels that I used for about 35 years, and they did everything I needed chisels to do.

As a young married man I remodeled our first house with those, other tools that were low priced garage sale tools, and a few tools bought at auctions for a fraction of new tools cost. In almost every case a lot of sweat was involved to restore those tools into good users. I bought good tools, but often they didn't look great, and back then at garage sales you could buy an old Disston D-8 for a dollar or less sometimes. We didn't have much money at all, and bought a house that had been owned by folks who tore it up, so the price was low enough that we could afford the payments. A lot of work, and materials as we could afford them, made that beat up house into a nice small house for our young family.

The point is that folks can do excellent work with the chisels you just reported on. They will never equal Lie Nelson chisels, and you will have to sharpen them more often, but for the folks without very deep pockets they sound like a serviceable low priced option.

Beyond that, even if you have good chisels it is good to have some beater chisels, as you and others pointed out above.

For what its worth, I now have a set of Stanley #60s from off that auction site, probably all bought 15+ years ago when you could buy them for pretty low prices (that is not the case now). I restored them to good users, although some of them don't have very nice looking handles, and often bought a mix of 3 or so #60s for just a little more than a single chisel auctioned for. Thus I have a few extras of some sizes that are now my beater chisels.

The nice thing about the old Stanley #60 chisels is that they were made for carpenters and to be used with carpenters hammers, so they will take a lot of abuse. I suspect the HF chisels are best used with wooden mallets for good woodworking, not for rough carpentry with metal carpenters hammers, but if that is not the case please advise.

At any rate, good report on the HF chisels!

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 02-21-2023 at 10:52 PM.

I started out woodworking 50 years ago with lesser quality. I don't plan on going that far backwards.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I started out woodworking 50 years ago with lesser quality. I don't plan on going that far backwards.
    It's more like going sideways. My first thought when looking at them was that they would need different handles for my comfort. Not a problem with a lathe. It has been a few years between me and the last time visiting HF. Their handles may be bigger than they were.

If another set of beaters was needed or someone's first set of beaters was on the "to buy" list these would likely fit the bill.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I agree with Jim,
    I have a set of Shop Fox chisels but they are sold under many names. They look just like those Aidi chisels some talk about.
    IMO They're okay for what they are and for what I paid, they're not getting glowing reviews.
    I hope the HFs hold up for you, you really can't beat the price.

As far as the F clamps go, I really like HF clamps, I wouldn't have been able to build half the things I have buying the name brand clamps although, through the years, the quality has slipped.
    Clamps (600 x 400).jpg
    Left, great little clamp, no complaints
    Center, Great clamp, although handles on some have started to degrade
    Right, least favorite, bar profile has changed, pad and screw alignment is not the best.
    I actually stopped buying them and started getting the light duty Bessey, which go on sale from time to time. The Besseys are built quite well, the one thing I don't care for is that the handles are made for small hands
    JMO, YMMV