Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new set of chisels

After a post by David Weaver on another forum, I got the same set as the OP. They're easy to change the handles and reprofile the sides. I used one of the chisels on a small project, an oilstone box in bubinga. There were no issues with edge failure and it held its own against vintage and Ashley Iles chisels.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_photo1645293999858_6900863204784529148.jpg20210106_001611.jpg

Aldi's style chisel. and the hammer I used...
    Wednesday, tools used .JPG
    Chopping Ash....

BTW...I still have a Harbor Freight 3/4" chisel I bought a LONG time ago...seems to have held up quite well..

Harbor Freight Chisels .JPG
    Actually a 3/4" and a 1"....back when they were sold in Imperial sizes...was part of a six chisel set...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 02-22-2023 at 11:59 AM.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

How likely is that? HF sources chisels from China, Two Cherries sources steel in EU (at least they claim to). They might share some generic "name" for a steel, like CrVa or something, but then half of the world's chisels would be "the same steel". I'd expect MHG using the same steel, their tools is essentially Two Cherries w/o the logo, maybe some other tools from that region: it's not a secret that several brands often outsource manufacturing to the same factory. So if TwoCherries are really sourcing steel from CN, what's the point of bringing it to EU where cost of labor several times the rates in CN? Chinese manufacturers are totally capable producing tools with same level of quality as Two Cherries.

(Where's David W. when he's needed?)

Sometimes it's good to know about good bargain. I.e. you could recommend this set to someone who's on a fringe and you'll be sure you won't set this person up like the Aldi fad a few year ago.
    Or you could re-grind those into skews, half-rounds, fishtails not worrying that if you screw up a good chunk of money are going down the drain.