Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new “Gara-shop”

'Hope you enjoy it! But that Rockler blue flex is uber-expensive stuff!! I buy PowerTec generally off Amazon.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, Aaron. Yes, Jim, but it is far superior to the flex I had and I have only one piece which I am moving from machine to machine. As tight as the space is I believe that will continue to be the case. Once I get a settled in the space I may make a run up and across the ceiling for a drop or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    The weight of the dust is so low that it just sucks it all the way through (i.e. it doesn't fall down into the bins).
    Is that an issue for light-weight shavings, as well?
    How does it compare to an upright cyclone in terms of separation?
    (I had a lot of trouble with cedar shavings going into my 1-stage collector filter; a SDD pre-separator pulled these out of the airstream)

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Is that an issue for light-weight shavings, as well?
    How does it compare to an upright cyclone in terms of separation?
    (I had a lot of trouble with cedar shavings going into my 1-stage collector filter; a SDD pre-separator pulled these out of the airstream)

Matt
    It probably won't be an issue for stuff from a saw or planer/jointer as the dust/debris are larger and heavier. The Harvey works a little differently than a cyclone. It pushes the air into a small centrifuge type of assembly where the idea is to push debris to the outside of the centrifuge/tornado pressure area. However, the air flow is blowing across the top of the dust bins and the air velocity can be high enough to just carry the dust forward into the filters.

A traditional cyclone acts a tiny bit differently where you have a larger area to work with. The air coming to the cyclone pushes the dust/debris to the outside of the cyclone itself. The area of the inside of the cyclone is larger than the input duct size, so the overall air velocity really slows down. This allows the dust/debris to fall down into the barrel instead of being pushed into the output duct. That being said, if there is enough velocity, there still may be a tiny bit of fine dust that is pushed into the filters. However, it is not going to be as much as what the Harvey pulls through.
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 03-22-2023 at 1:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    Hi Jack. The speed control is a balancing act depending on what kind of dust you are generation. Be careful of stuff that generates super fine dust (such as sanding machines). If the speed is too high, it will pull the fine dust all the way through and start clogging up the filters. The weight of the dust is so low that it just sucks it all the way through (i.e. it doesn't fall down into the bins).
    I probably do this. But. How would I know? And how would I determine what the 'best' setting is...??

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    I probably do this. But. How would I know? And how would I determine what the 'best' setting is...??
    You'll just have to test and experiment.

I have been running my G700 at both 5900 and "full blast" for awhile now. There's been zero evidence of anything other than true fines getting to/through the filters. The "double separation" method that Harvey designed seems to be pretty impressive in that respect. Coarse dust and chips to the first, larger bin and primarily finer material into the second, smaller bin. I've only found a small amount of fine dust in the trap below the filters to-date. And that's from a variety of machines including the saw, J/P, CNC and drum sander.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...