Thread: Stop Win 11 upgrade suggestions?

Stop Win 11 upgrade suggestions?

I know there are some Windows OS experts that hang out here. (I can usually get by but I’m certainly not an expert!)

When I reboot my desktop Win 10 Pro machine Microsoft tells me it’s eligible for an upgrade to Win 11. Lately it has gotten more aggressive and I have to go through at least three screens before it decides I’m serious.

I do not want to upgrade to Win 11 until it’s been out a long time or until long after they quit supporting Win 10 Pro. (On the MS website: “Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 release until October 14, 2025.”) If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Does anyone know how to stop these suggestions on Win 10 Pro? I found this, which says to use the Policy Editor or used edit the registry on Win 10 Home:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/765377/how...on-windows-10/

Has anyone tried this? Experiences?

JKJ

Try this:

Right click anywhere on your desktop and click, new -> shortcut.
    When it launches the create shortcut - where it says type the location of the item, type in - cmd - and hit next.
    For name, just accept cmd and hit finish

This will create a new shortcut on your desktop to the command line editor.

Right click that new shortcut and select - run as administrator.

That will launch the command line editor with administrator authority.
    When it launches, type in - services.msc - and hit enter.

That will bring up the list of all services that run when you boot windows.

Scroll down to Windows Update - right click it and select properties.
    When the properties launches select - startup type - and select disabled.

You should probably stop it before you disable it. That way it won't continue to run until you reboot.

This will stop all Windows update service - everything - even the Defender anti virus if you use it.

Registry hacks are something you want to avoid unless you are pretty comfortable you know what you're doing.
    If you do use the registry hack, before you change anything, click on - file-> export -> select all and export a copy of the registry to a USB drive.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I believe you can do that in Task Manager - Startup.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Yes - it can be done through task manager also.
    You run task manager then select services.
    On services you right click on the services and select - Open Services

Then scroll down to Windows Update, right click and select properties.

The double services -services can be a bit confusing though. Just running services.msc takes you right to services.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Yes - it can be done through task manager also.
    You run task manager then select services.
    On services you right click on the services and select - Open Services

Then scroll down to Windows Update, right click and select properties.

The double services -services can be a bit confusing though. Just running services.msc takes you right to services.
    I know how to disable services. But I was told that disabling the Windows Update will stop ALL updates, including Win 10 updates. (right,wrong?) As mentioned, I don’t want to disable Win 10 updates, just the increasing Win 11 upgrade nags.

I have no problem with registry edits. I hoped to get feedback from someone who had tried one of the two methods described in the howtogeek article (registry or Policy Editor) to disable the MS upgrade nags.

I have a .reg file that will stop the nags and set the latest permissable windows update to 22H2. I can't seem to attach it. If you can tell me how to do that, I can send you the file..
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I have a .reg file that will stop the nags and set the latest permissable windows update to 22H2. I can't seem to attach it. If you can tell me how to do that, I can send you the file..
    This laptop is 22h2, I'll have to verify the desktop the next time I get to the shop (I assume it is but I've never checked).
    EDIT: I checked the desktop and it was Win 10 21H2, updated to 22H2. Said it was a "feature update" but didn't tell me what features.

The .reg files I'm familiar with are simple text files. I don't see a way to attach one but you should be able to open it in notepad, copy the text, then paste it into a message. When I send text files in forums or email I usually delineate them with something like:

------------------- START OF FILE filename.ext
    line
    line
    etc
    ------------------- END OF FILE filename.ext

BTW, I use the "Standard Editor" in SMC (Menu: Forum Actions/General Settings/Miscellaneous Options) instead of the "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" which may or may not mess with the text, I don't know. I quit using the enhanced editor several years ago since gave me some problem (don't even remember what) but maybe that's no longer the case.

You could send it by email but then it wouldn't be available in case someone else is interested.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-18-2023 at 7:23 PM.

Here is the file, John

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate]
    "TargetReleaseVersion"=dword:00000001
    "ProductVersion"="Windows 10"
    "TargetReleaseVersionInfo"="22H2"

To be clear to anyone using this, it does not change the release of windows 10 that you are running. All it does it prevent Microsoft from pushing a release newer then 22H2.

I did not write this. It was on a forum that I trust. I have used it on all my PCs. When 22H2 first came out there were issue with it, and the reg file than stopped everything at 21H1. When I received the go ahead to install 22H2, I had to change the reg file to allow it.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON