Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Weapons?

Woodworking Weapons?

The following ad on Facebook Marketplace was rejected and my appeal rejected because according to them it contained prohibited "weapons" sales. Can anyone spot the offending weapons?

SawStop Over-Arm Dust Collector & Guard
    New around $500
    Selling for $240
    Guard was never used.
    The over-arm assembly was installed but never used.
    AVAILABLE IF LISTED

SawStop Dust Collector 001.jpgSawStop Dust Collector 002.jpgSawStop Dust Collector 003.jpgSawStop Dust Collector 004.jpgSawStop Dust Collector 005.jpgSawStop Dust Collector 002.jpg

Blog Entries
    Probably the word guard triggered one of their filters.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Try changing the word "Guard" to "Cover"
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well to the ..... mob that guard looks like a gun. Just my opinion.

Maybe over-arm?

No words, feel so bad for my young kid is growing up in this nonsense

That being said, looks like a fair price

Part of what's odd is that the ad was active for quite some time. It was only until I lowered the price that the rejection surfaced. I plan to post the ad again but would like to eliminate what is "triggering" (no pun intended) the rejection. So "guard" as in trigger guard is no good? Over-arm? - I don't know where that fits into the weapons lexicon. Maybe remove the riving knife from the guard to make it look less like a pistol? But I can't use the word "knife", right? The point to it all is I don't know if I'm dealing with someone that's just plain stupid or technology run amuck, maybe both.

Maybe swap out some of the photos that could be flagged by a computer recognition program as looking like pistols.

I'd bet there are absolutely no live humans anywhere involved in flagging this and it's the unintended consequence of Facebook necessarily having to rely on machine-based image interpretation systems and algorithms about listing metrics to try to identify what's for sale in the gazillions of items that get listed on Marketplace every day. I'd try deleting images #4 and #5 and substituting a pic taken from an angle, with the splitter/guard installed on the saw, and maybe putting the word "table saw" into the description, in hopes of creating enough differentiating features that Facebook's system will not see a false positive.

Don't waste time trying to rationalize facebook. I think the whole thing is ran by a bot designed by an inept committee ___. Marketplace is a farce. I still get at least a message per week for a listing I took down months ago, usually in broken english, wanting to wire me money and send a truck to pick it up tomorrow at 5:30 am.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-18-2023 at 8:25 PM.

When I was in Jr. high they said we could not make num chucks in wood shop class. Kung Fu was a popular tv show back then.
    BilLD

Blog Entries
    My boys insisted that their nunchucks have chains rather than ropes (to resist swords etc.) I think there are still some around the house...
    I have made my way through the Kung Fu TV show again thanks to our Library. It is quality entertainment. David Carradine's demise was very sad, embarrassing, and unfortunate.

Photo on 2-19-23 at 6.09 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-19-2023 at 7:29 PM. Reason: Chains! Michelangelo insists on chains too.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I’ll take it if you’re near Minneapolis.

if someone were listing a nail gun with bump fire mode, may get a visit from atf

Blog Entries
    Pics 3,4, and 5 roughly resemble a firearm. High probability it's a photo recognition algorithm searching for guns.