Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bucket garden stand - 2x6 configuration

Bucket garden stand - 2x6 configuration

This is quite a bit different from what I normally build but here goes anyway.

A few months ago we bought 12 five gallon food grade buckets to build a bucket garden. At first we were going to build it in a 3x4 configuration but decided to build it in a 2x6 configuration instead. I bought the treated 2x4's and engaged our 14-year old grandson to assist.

We cut the 10' 2x4's to the proper length for the long stretchers and since he had limited time that's all we did for a few days. But he wanted to help build it so I waited until he could help again. When he was available his best friend wanted to help, as well. So Monday afternoon, the day before Valentine's day (critical info for later) I picked them up from school and we hit the shop.

Three hours later we had a finished bucket stand! And they learned a lot about working in a shop environment as well as using tools brand new to them, so it was a good day. When my wife got home from work I showed her the bucket stand and told her that since I'm a guy and the next day was Valentine's Day, then Happy Valentine's Day!

It didn't matter to her that I should have built this months ago so that was a good thing. Now we have to get dirt and begin planting whatever she wants to grow.
    001 - 2x6 Bucket garden.jpg
    002 - 2x6 Bucket garden.jpg
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

That turned out really nice and is clearly sturdy. It should serve the purpose very well. It would be easy to create an "early season cover system" for it, too, although that's likely less of a need in your particular geography.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That turned out really nice and is clearly sturdy. It should serve the purpose very well. It would be easy to create an "early season cover system" for it, too, although that's likely less of a need in your particular geography.
    Thanks, Jim! I'm proud of the boys for jumping in and doing this. I expected them to help by carrying boards, handing me tools, etc. but when they expressed interest in using the tools I stepped out of the way and just gave direction. I imagine we'll have to get some sort of screen to protect the strawberries from birds, maybe the tomatoes, too.
    David

Raised flower beds and raised vegetable gardens are often a foot higher than the surrounding soil, this warms them faster in the spring for a head start to growing. They often used bricks or stone blocks.
    I notice your buckets are only supported in the middle by the edge of a plank. Over time the plastic will age and crack easily.

The area of the feet in contact with the soil is very small for the weight, doubling or trebling the end area may be beneficial. Any plans to clad the frame in red cedar to add mystery to the buckets?

Check out raised gardens, very popular in England.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Very interesting... Just out of curiosity, why build a bucket garden instead of just plant in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Very interesting... Just out of curiosity, why build a bucket garden instead of just plant in the ground.
    Some possible reasons off the top of my head could be: Elderly or physically restricted gardeners that cant bend over, poor soil, no soil (only pavement available), keeping plants beyond the reach of rabbits, reduction in soil borne insect/disease, better watering control, higher density planting without root competition for nutrients,etc.

I really like your 12 by 2 configuration, it makes it easy to get to each plant without bending over.
    We have a 50 by 150 foot garden for many years but last year was the end as we are going to switch to a system like yours David. Just getting to old to work a large garden anymore even with a tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Any plans to clad the frame in red cedar to add mystery to the buckets?
    No sir, just going to leave it plain Jane. We'll replace the buckets if/when they fail.

For many of the reasons Ted mentions below. One daughter volunteered to come over with their tiller and break ground for a garden but we've had one before and figured we'd try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Some possible reasons off the top of my head could be: Elderly or physically restricted gardeners that cant bend over, poor soil, no soil (only pavement available), keeping plants beyond the reach of rabbits, reduction in soil borne insect/disease, better watering control, higher density planting without root competition for nutrients,etc.
    Getting up and down became more difficult last year when I broke my back but, while we can still do it, we just decided we didn't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I really like your 12 by 2 configuration, it makes it easy to get to each plant without bending over.
    We have a 50 by 150 foot garden for many years but last year was the end as we are going to switch to a system like yours David. Just getting to old to work a large garden anymore even with a tractor.
    That's a huge garden, Keith! At one point we had a 15' x 30' garden, maybe larger, and it was a bit of work staying on top of it. The buckets should be less work but still yield decent veggies, strawberries, etc.
    David

Good idea, And perhaps the kids will be wanting to try the veggies?

Thanks, Tim! Amazingly enough, these kids already eat plenty of veggies. I never did when I was that age, though.
    David

Just finished the video that goes along with this build. There's some good banter between all of us and I think the boys had a good time and learned a few things in building this stand.
    David

Nice looking garden bed. Any concern about the buckets breaking down due to UV? We have been using some wood planters and some of the horse trough metal ones over the years. But every bucket or plastic item I’ve left outside in Florida doesn’t last 6 months before it cracks due to UV and weather.

Thanks, Greg! Yes, thought about that and this is on the east side of the house so it will catch the morning sun full on - we'll see.
    David

Here's an update with plants in the buckets, including a time lapse of the zucchini and cucumber taking advantage of the watering -
    David

One reason for having the soil above the soil is contamination. I used to be able to grow the most amazing tomatoes planting directly in the ground. Then over the course of a couple of years the plants would die after beginning to set fruit. My local county extension office asked if I had any walnut trees nearby. Yep, I had one not too far from my garden that had grown from a sapling to over 40 feet high. It's not the leaves that were the problem, like it is for some plants near a walnut tree; rather the roots release something in the soil that is toxic to tomato plants. Over the years the roots from that tree had invaded my garden and were killing my tomatoes. So I went to elevated beds for my tomato plants, and they are thriving again.

John