Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moisture Readings

Don't forget to take deep breaths while turning the catalpa. It smells just like cotton candy.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    People have different opinions. I personally far prefer to turn dry but successfully drying a big chunk or log section is usually difficult or impossible. If turning large things like bowls I think you are better off turning green ASAP. Either turn to finished size and let things warp or rough turn, dry, then finish turn.

BTW, since I like to turn dry wood I usually cut up green log sections into smaller turning blanks, seal well, and sir dry. It's easy to find those invisible end checks with a rectangular turning blanks - before use just cut off a thin slice of end grain with the bandsaw and bend it. The slice will break at any defects like checks and ring shake. Most dry without checks, but if present I just cut back a bit more until I get to good wood.

It sometimes takes years for even relatively small blanks to dry to EMC, depending on the size, temperature, RH, species, and particular tree. I dry on wire shelves in my shop with heat and air and track the dryness by weight.

Attachment 496119 Attachment 496120 Attachment 496121 Attachment 496122

In the last week I cut up a tree's worth of Dogwood into four tubs of blanks; some will probably take three or more years to dry.

JKJ
    John, if God put you on this earth to finish what you started; it appears from the pictures that you will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    John, if God put you on this earth to finish what you started; it appears from the pictures that you will never die!
    Thanks for that. It has been a longtime since I had a good belly laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I started the wood processing hobby years ago, enjoy it a lot. I will finish what I started when I’m no longer able to continue safely. I have at least 5 times what’s in those pictures. I give away wood to auctions and friends.

I hope when the end comes to make as many turners happy as possible. I’ll tell my wife to put you on the list so if you don’t hear from me for a while, come get your share. (may be a bit of a drive)

Cherry lends itself to twice turning.
    Where did I put those band aids?