Thread: Waterlox adhesion

Waterlox adhesion

I’m working on a large kitchen island and pre-finishing various components prior to final install. I finished a couple parts of the island (with 5 coats of Waterlox original) and let them cure for about 5 days. I clamped a few of those together in a test fit and noticed that the clamps pulled some of the Waterlox finish off. I was surprised to see that and curious how long I need to let the pieces cure to avoid the lift off? Thankfully, Waterlox is easily repairable.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

It depends upon the temperature where they are curing. Even at 70F it takes at least a month to fully cure. How thick the coats were and much time you allowed the finish to cure between coats will influence the total cure time, too. How long it takes before clamps won't stick and pull off the finish is even more difficult to guess, but my guess is at least 2 weeks. You likely can reduce the chance of sticking by putting wax paper or saran wrap between the clamp and finish.

John