Thread: Minimax FS41 Classic Jointer-Planer Table Calibration

Minimax FS41 Classic Jointer-Planer Table Calibration

This is a cross-post from the Minimax Owners Group forum, and I was hoping maybe the larger viewership here would get me back up and running after many frustrating days. Apologies in advance for the wordiness as I try and describe my issue.

I have a FS-41C jointer planer combo unit which I am trying to calibrate the tables on.

Background: I purchased the used machine a little over a year ago from an original owner, and it was shipped from Texas to Colorado by a semi-professional service. He is an experienced long haul driver, but not white glove, and used his personal truck and rented enclosed trailer for the delivery. I don't believe any damage occurred during transport. Other than powering it up to verify it worked, unfortunately due to some life commitments, I was out of the shop until recently. In December I tried to mill up some stock for cutting board gifts, only to realize it was out of alignment in both length and width. With so much time passing, I'm not sure if contacting the owner is appropriate as there wasn't any cosmetic or visually apparent damage upon receipt.

Issue: during calibration/adjustment, when I tighten the hinge bolts on my tables, the tables skew relative to the knives. (Pictures attached). When everything is loose, I can shift the tables so they are visually close, but as soon as I tighten down my hinge bolts past snug, it brings my user-side corners out of alignment, and they end up closer to the knife than the hinge side.

I can physically keep the tables from shifting by using my hip against the table while I tighten the bolts, but as soon as I get past snug on the bolts, the table skews no matter how much I try. While both tables do this, the infeed is much more pronounced at about 3/16”. While tightening the bolts, you can visually watch the table corners move closer to the blade with each turn of the wrench.

I investigated some different ideas, which unfortunately didn't get me closer to a solution. I tried:
    1. adjusting the level of the machine (my garage floor slightly slopes in both directions as required by code). It was relatively level during my initial trials (using a machinist level), but I have since removed the floor shims in order for all four legs to sit on the concrete. The machine is no longer level across its length or width, but is stable. Unfortunately it didn’t seem to make a difference relative to the tables…
    2. inserting shim stock from “outside” of hinge side in an attempt to create a wedge and prevent the table from skewing while tightening the bolt. I was previously inserting the shim stock from the inside.

Side note: if someone has instructions on how they have adjusted their tables I would appreciate whatever information you have. While I got close before I realized the skew issue, I think it was by luck. I do recognize this is a dance and everyone’s journey is different.

I have been chasing my tail for over a month at this point and I am further away than when I started. Unfortunately, we don't have any SCM dealers in Colorado.

IMG_3389.jpg IMG_3386.jpg IMG_3388.jpg IMG_3387.jpg

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

Sounds like a factory alignment issue- hard to see how transport would cause that. Were the table ends parallel to the cutterhead before you started playing with it? Does it affect the machine operation?

Can you post photos of the hinges? Could the hinge supports be rocking on your shims? Maybe reaming out the hinge bolt holes would do the trick.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 02-15-2023 at 9:21 PM.

A picture of hinges would help. My FS41e has a hinge spindle that is attached with two bolts. The spindle is "cradled" by a corresponding mounting bracket (which is a welded attachment point). My guess is that perhaps you are not placing the shim stock directly under the centerline of this spindle, which might cause the hinge to shift as you tighten it down. Just a guess.

have a diff SCM combo. I didnt understand the adjustment on the pivot points on mine but still moved them a bit with a dial to show me how much. Locking the infeed down shimmed both sides and got it pretty much bang on. I was able to swivel the infeed a small amount on the pivot point but there was a grub screw there and no info I could find on adjusting it. Tables are locked down with locking handles. Does your machine not have the locking handles? you are talking about moving the tables on the pivot point before the locking handles?

If you look at where the hinge spindle attaches to the underside of the table (second picture), you might notice what looks like nylon set screws: the position of these screws may influence the position of the table as it relates to the issue you are having. The first picture shows the shim on the upper portion of the hinge: it goes all the way around the spindle so it does not influence the position of the spindle laterally.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phil Gaudio; 02-16-2023 at 6:20 PM.

I have a CU300 combo which is basically the FS30. You have to learn to tighten it the same every time. End of cutter at the hinge side doesn't change much.

Thanks for the thoughts and pictures, Phil. My shim stock is large enough to fill the entire concave recess where the two mount bolts go (vice it only going halfway through, possibly causing issues).

After some more hours wasted, I can only believe that somehow I bent the mounting bracket cradle the spindle sits in, as I can get the tables fairly close with the bolts loose, but as soon as I start to get any sort of tension on them, I can watch the table move with each turn of the wrench, to me, indicating the cradle is out of alignment.This happens with and without shim stock in place. I don't recall the table being off prior to me starting this process, however, the bolts were exceedingly tight, so the factory, or less likely, the previous owner, may have somehow coaxed the tables close to parallel, and cranked down the bolts to hold it in place. But that is just a theory with no proof behind it. It was one of those things you don't really pay attention to during disassembly, not anticipating it turning into a multi-week adventure...

I'll snap a picture of my hinge and bracket and post it.

Appreciate the thoughts and help,