Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Medium Grit?

Spyderco Medium Grit?

Hi,

Does anyone know the approximate grit of the Spyderco medium stone? I’ve done some searching but it’s hard to find a clear answer. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Vaughn View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know the approximate grit of the Spyderco medium stone? I’ve done some searching but it’s hard to find a clear answer. Thanks in advance!
    I don't know. But they're medium grit with respect to the other Spyderco stones, not vs. some universal definition of "medium grit." They'll put a better edge on a tool than you'd at first think, and do it pretty quickly.

Blog Entries
    Found this quickly with a few words typed into Google:

Take notice of the approximate grit size on Spyderco stones .

Ultra Fine is 2,000
    Fine is 1,800
    Medium is 600

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your response. I found that info as well. I also emailed Sharpening Supplies and got this response:

“ The grit comparisons, that I have (and take these with a couple grains of salt) are along the lines of:

Spyderco Medium - 600 ish
    Spyderco Fine / Norton Fine - 1000 ish
    Spyderco Ultra Fine / Norton Ultra Fine - 2000 ish”

I’ve probably read through all the SMC threads about ceramic stones and it seems like the medium (at least once broken in) is much finer than 600. I think I read a comment by Derek Cohen saying the medium was something like 3000-5000. I’m just hoping someone who has used the Spyderco Medium for years can give me a ballpark grit.

A side note, lots of folks mention Spyderco stones not being flat. I have the Norton Ascent Ultrafine and it is 100% flat. I’ve used it for about a year and it’s just as flat as the day I got it.

Spyderco will not state the grit in their stones. The best one can do is approximate this by comparing the result with othr stones. The surface off o Medium is far too fine for 1000 grit. In my estimation, it is closer to 3000 - 5000. For one thing, it leaves a decent polish and edge, one that could be used without moving to the Ultra Fine (which I estimate around 8000).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek! I thought I remembered you mentioning 3000-5000. If that is indeed the case, I would probably just buy the Norton Ascent Fine (stated by Norton to be around 4K) since it’s guaranteed flat. Yes, it’s more expensive, but if I don’t have to spend time flattening then it’s worth it to me.

The whole reason that I’m asking this question is because I’ve been jumping from a 1200 diamond stone to the Norton Ultrafine (Norton says it’s 8K) and there have been many times when I’ve thought an intermediate stone could be helpful. Sometimes it seems like too big of a jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Found this quickly with a few words typed into Google:

Take notice of the approximate grit size on Spyderco stones .

Ultra Fine is 2,000
    Fine is 1,800
    Medium is 600

jtk
    Virtually meaningless numbers unfortunately. Read my response again, and Mr. Cohen's as well. A Spyderco is 'medium' only in relation to the other stones they offer.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 02-16-2023 at 4:15 PM.

You might be better served by slightly raising the angle on the finest stone (depending on what you're sharpening) rather than buying a new stone. I'd suggest you try it first (if applicable) and see if you truly need another stone.

Regarding grit ratings mentioned above--by whose grit chart are these measured (JIS, ANSI, FEPA?) and are these the initial or broken-in values? Stones that don't readily shed grit cannot properly be judged by first impressions. They will settle in to being much finer than their initial behavior. My hard black Arkansas, for example, is still getting finer after a year of hobby use.

Not intending to put words in Derek's mouth, but I would expect that he's referring to the well-broken-in behavior relative to JIS rated water stones. I've seen elsewhere people claiming that proper conditioning of the surface on the finer ceramic stones can yield behavior equivalent to a 15k JIS stone, but I have no experience to form my own opinion.

Michael is correct. My Spydercos were flattened on diamond stones, and since have been used for about 10 years. I reckon they are broken in by now Even so, within a few months, they were performing closer to my numbers.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Although a sample of only (1), my medium Spyderco stone is much finer than 600 grit. It also was received well out-of-flat (dished on one side and bulged on the other). Flattening just one side was a very tedious task. I attribute this to a rumor that Spyderco stones are produced by CoorsTec, a ceramic medical vessel division of Coors Brewing in Golden Colorado. Spyderco is directly across the street from Coors in Golden. The Spyderco stones are made under very high heat; which unfortunately also makes the stones warp. Spyderco stones may not arrive flat. I use mine for honing chisels; not plane irons.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Vaughn View Post
    A side note, lots of folks mention Spyderco stones not being flat. I have the Norton Ascent Ultrafine and it is 100% flat. I’ve used it for about a year and it’s just as flat as the day I got it.
    Clayton, how are you liking the Norton Ascent ultrafine? I've been looking to replace my set of lapping films with two finishing stones, sigma power selects , norton ascent or spyderco ceramic.

Derek, are you still using the spydercos in your sharpening system?

Peter, I do, just not frequently as it is part of my travel set.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Peter, I do, just not frequently as it is part of my travel set.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks Derek for the reply. What are you using as your "shop" set?

Shapton Pro 1000, Sigma 6000 and Sigma 13000.

The Sigma are almost worn out now. Anyone tell me where they may be purchased? I got them from Stu quite a few years back.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Here's a link for the 6000 https://buyee.jp/rakuten/detail/seki...ce_page_search I bought one from this site a couple of years ago. I don't know if they have the 13000. -Howard