Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 vs 2 mini-splits

1 vs 2 mini-splits

Any thoughts on which is better given roughly the same cost of installing one 24,000 btu mini split vs two 12,000. We are replacing a PTAC unit (HVAC like in hotels) with a mini-split for our sunroom. I was planning to build a woodshop (2 or 3 car garage), but the cost is more than I want to pay right now. In the interim, I'm using part of our attached 4-car garage for woodworking. My plan is to put up a wall in the middle and use one side for my shop. I want to put a mini-split in so I can work there year-round. The "new" 2-car garage and sunroom are almost identical in size.

The only difference in installation is the single unit would require a longer run for the lines to the sunroom as opposed to placing a second unit in the optimal location. The distance is still well within limits.

My HVAC guy says it's a wash. He installed two in his house, but said it was really only for ease of installation. I'm thinking the same. If I install two, the second one would be in the best location and require the shortest run for the lines. I already have 220v in both locations. Ideally I would put the garage unit at that other end of the garage. Unfortunately I don't have a good (inexpensive) way to get 220v there.

For heating/cooling, it "should" be a wash. For cost, I suspect two units will cost more than one dual zone unit. You will also have to provision two separate 240v circuits if you put in two units vs 1 for the dual zone. Both indoor units are powered from the condenser/compressor unit(s) outside so the only routing you need to deal with relative to that is for the lineset for each inside unit including the control/power cable that comes with the unit.

Personally, I think I'd opt for the dual zone for the situation you describe because I believe it will cost less than two single units and provide the same end results.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you go with two units, will you be able to move the "garage" one to use in the shop?

Two units make more sense to me. I assume there will be times some one will be in one room and no one in the other. Why pay to heat and cool both if only one is occupied? I suppose this also depends ion your lifestyle now and in the future. Kids in the house or not etc.
    We have a spare bedroom I almost never go into. I have the hvac shut down in that room. Waste of money to condition it very much unless occupied when I can open the vent.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-14-2023 at 3:11 PM.

Two units, if a single unit breaks down you have no heating and cooling at all but if one of two breaks down at least you have something still working.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    They also make systems that will cool/heat two different spaces via two different thermostats using a smart manifold syslem mounted inside the house with only one outdoor unit.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My brother in law manages a fancy hotel that has multiple mini splits with more than I head. They have an issue in the "tweens" seasons where one room wants heat and another wants cooling. Apparently, the whole system has to heat or cool, not both.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    They also make systems that will cool/heat two different spaces via two different thermostats using a smart manifold syslem mounted inside the house with only one outdoor unit.
    I believe that's one of the two choices he's looking at...dual zone vs dual systems.
    --

Fujitsu, which I am most familiar with, Two 12’s will be substantially more efficient than the single 24. Check the specs on the units specified, though 12’s can run on 15 A circuits, the 24 a 20 or 30A. I think you will get more even air/temp distribution on the 12’s

Thanks for the input. First of all, I have an open 30 amp circuit located where the garage unit would go and the sunroom already has a 20 amp for the existing PTAC unit, so power is not an issue. I'm looking at either two units or a dual zone unit as Jim mentioned.

A couple good points about usage/load needs. The sunroom will be heated/cooled year round. The garage unit will probably only be needed for extremes not to mention I have a wife, three kids and a job (for a couple more years), so woodworking time is sparse. Seems more logical to have two units. One would get a lot more use than the other so that might save wear and tear on one of them.

I put two 18,000 units in my shop. It wasn't only a little more expensive than one large unit. While my shop is very well insulated I wanted the better cooling that two separate units give. While a two head unit could have been done the installation would have been much more challenging. Home Depot had the best price last summer on Mr Cool.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 02-16-2023 at 9:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Home Depot had the best price last summer on Mr Cool.
    Costco.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Costco.
    The closest Costco is 2 hours from me. I have a Sam's membership but they were out of stock there.

Jim they are not always powered by the condenser. That is different amongst all the systems.

Lee they are called VRF or Variable refrigerant flow. And are a waste of money IMHO for residential use for a sunroom and a garage both are going to want heat or cooling at the same time. The VRF systems are beneficial in office settings where 1 room may be an IT room and the next an office. For the application Robert is talking about I would say 1 condenser and 2 heads without VRF.

Robert you may want to jump up the size of the garage unit to 18,000 btu. 12000 sounds like it sized for maintaining temperature. For me shop use is not an all day everyday event, I would want it to adjust temperature a little faster

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Jim they are not always powered by the condenser. That is different amongst all the systems.
    Good to know but sounds strange to me. Both the Daiken and MrCool systems I've owned have been setup that way, but I suppose other brands could certainly provide power to the interior units separately. But you still need the control cables back to the outside unit so that would seem inefficient for separate power since the interior units use very little power compared to the outdoor unit.
    --