Thread: Cheap source of thermostats and heating pads to prevent rust in the shop

Cheap source of thermostats and heating pads to prevent rust in the shop

I have been using a golden rod heater under my lathe to prevent rust. I also have a heating pad under my bench mill. I leave them plugged in all winter when the shop get below about 50 degrees. I see condensation at around 45 degrees
    I just found out you can buy heat mats and thermostats designed for people growing seeds indoors. The thermostat goes down to 40 so it is well suited for my needs. Only goes up to 105 degrees so not for hot glue. It has a remote wired sensor probe. Many unknown brands on ebay or amazon. Just about #15 each. so $30 for a set. I will use just one thermostat to control both machines.
    You could use it to warm glue or finishes before use I suppose or bring thm inside the house. the night before
    Bill D.
    https://www.amazon.com/BN-LINK-Durable-Seedling-Heating-Thermostat/dp/B08BWZKTM9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?gclid=CjwKCAiAuaKfBhBtEiwAht6H7xK8 UtIOW_0gzJy_TIP2qX5JYo16yVgUdTUZARhda1huF0CJHzovYB oC3jsQAvD_BwE&hvadid=178582427212&hvdev=c&hvlocphy =9032274&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=82600639

I have a big planer and jointer in an unheated space. I use a fan to control condensation

I insulated my garage for a variety of reasons but mainly to help keep the shop warmer in winter. Builders don’t insulated garages in warmer climates and this made a huge difference. The amount of rust on cast iron is less.