Thread: First use and I am impressed!

First use and I am impressed!

Two years ago I asked about chisels, planes and water stones. I ended up with a set of Wood River bench chisels, 2 new Wood River hand planes and 3 Shapton glass stones and accessories. I ended up sharpening the planes and the chisels but just did basic tests for sharpness.

I have had an end table sitting on my bench waiting to be completed for 2 years. I designed it with a major flaw, then had a minor assembly issue and I couldn't figure out a way to cover the resulting problems. Coupled with some family issues I walked away from my shop and hadn't finished the end table. Late last week I figured out how to cover the design flaw and the assembly issue. The sharp chisel and hand planes were a dream to use. The ease and improved control by truly sharp tools make those purchases worth the purchase price!

I have a hole to drill and a knob mounting surface to flatten for the base of the knob to rest on and then it's time for finish.

My wife is out of town so the finishing will have to wait so she can approve the stain she wants me to use.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-11-2023 at 8:52 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nothing beats sharp hand tools Ken. They hooked me 7-8 years back. You can finess so many things.
    I have a couple Woodriver planes and like them. I find the #3 a tad too heavy, but it's a quality tool.
    You should come join us on the Neander forum!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

How did somebody say it "Sharp solves many problems."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Which reminds me that I have a whole lot of work to do in that regard in my "copious free time"...whenever that is, of course...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Anyone who uses a shooting board can attest to that.

John

Yup. Someone.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 02-12-2023 at 6:09 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Somehow I always manage to nick a finger with a freshly sharpened tool...

Using a chisel that is reeeeeally sharp is zen - reminds me I need to stop and resharpen more often.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Which reminds me that I have a whole lot of work to do in that regard in my "copious free time"...whenever that is, of course...
    I have a drawer by the sharpening area. Things tend to get dropped off there as I am working on projects; chisels, plane irons, drill bits. At some point (preferably sooner rather than later) I take a morning and power through them all. Occasionally I let things go a little too far and have a lot of stuff to catch up on. Never a good thing .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have a drawer by the sharpening area. Things tend to get dropped off there as I am working on projects; chisels, plane irons, drill bits. At some point (preferably sooner rather than later) I take a morning and power through them all. Occasionally I let things go a little too far and have a lot of stuff to catch up on. Never a good thing .
    When I get to the three drawers I need to build for the open area under my guitar bench, one of them will be dedicated to hand sharpening stuff so it's closer at hand. That should make keeping up with the task more regularly easier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When it comes to sharpening I have an effective approach. As I've mentioned in previous posts, my work schedule and other obligations keep my out of the shop quite a bit. I can usually spare an hour now and again but it's tough to get much woodworking done. On those occasions when I want to visit the shop to decompress but am time constrained, I'll select to or three three items to sharpen. With this approach I'm assured the tools are ready to go when I can break away for a few hours and make some sawdust.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I am stealing this idea!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Years ago I started buying about four complete sets of flea market chisels and restoring them, along with planes. While building the house I had the luxury of having a sharp tool always at hand for months at a time, then the drudgery of sharpening about 30 at once when the reject drawer was full and the too belt empty.

Its on those rare days that I wish I had a Tormek system.