Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice Regarding A small CNC Wood Lathe

There is a difference between a CNC lathe and a 4th axis rotary on a flat CNC. The former is more for turning with automated tool action which brings "yuge" repeatability and the latter is for ornamental carving. Ornamental carving can emulate turning in its simplest form, but it's not the same thing as turning with constant rotation. Rotaries (the second one) are not particularly well suited to actual "spinny" work like a CNC lathe is. What's kewel about a 4th axis setup is the ability to transfer/wrap complex 3D designs "around" the project workpiece. Different animal...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-14-2023 at 7:58 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    StyleCNC has an extensive video library. A lot is lost in translation. This one shows a slightly larger one. It is a bit tedious, but answers a few of my questions.

Best Regards, Maurice

I picked up a 4th axis for mine but have yet to do anything but make a 3” dowel LOL. It’s on my list of things to explore this summer when I have some free time.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There is a difference between a CNC lathe and a 4th axis rotary on a flat CNC. The former is more for turning with automated tool action which brings "yuge" repeatability and the latter is for ornamental carving. Ornamental carving can emulate turning in its simplest form, but it's not the same thing as turning with constant rotation. Rotaries (the second one) are not particularly well suited to actual "spinny" work like a CNC lathe is. What's kewel about a 4th axis setup is the ability to transfer/wrap complex 3D designs "around" the project workpiece. Different animal...
    Very true. Good point. It all depends on the specific projects that are desired and volume required. I would bet that they could make a combination machine that combines a standard 3 axis CNC with a 4th axis lathe bed, but instead of the stepper motor, use a VFD lathe motor to allow high speed turning with the CNC spindle motor. But I have not seen this specifically created yet.

I know of one individual who wanted the spinny thing combined with his CNC, so he removed the rotary from the side of his CNC and replaced it physically with an actual standard lathe, carefully positioning it so that the spindle center matched exactly with what the recoil rotary was. In that way the 4th axis on the CNC could control tooling movement while the "real" lathe simply spun the material. The goal, I believe, was to automate repeatability. I do not recall if lathe motor control was integrated into the software or not. My opinion is that if this is the kind of activity required, an actual CNC lathe or a standard lathe equipped with a CNC controlled tool system, much like what is on a typical metal lathe but automated, would be the better solution.
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I know of one individual who wanted the spinny thing combined with his CNC, so he removed the rotary from the side of his CNC and replaced it physically with an actual standard lathe, carefully positioning it so that the spindle center matched exactly with what the recoil rotary was. In that way the 4th axis on the CNC could control tooling movement while the "real" lathe simply spun the material. The goal, I believe, was to automate repeatability. I do not recall if lathe motor control was integrated into the software or not. My opinion is that if this is the kind of activity required, an actual CNC lathe or a standard lathe equipped with a CNC controlled tool system, much like what is on a typical metal lathe but automated, would be the better solution.
    I like this idea! I have also wanted a small metal lathe for a long time. Starting with metal lathe would be a way to get the 4 jaw chuck. A previous shop had a small metal lathe that was often used for wood.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Did you get any prices on that larger one?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    The one in the video does not match their current offerings. Currently the mini is $2800 to $3100 and the small is $4980 to $5180.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The one in the video does not match their current offerings. Currently the mini is $2800 to $3100 and the small is $4980 to $5180.
    If I did not already have a Shop full of toys I'd be interested in ordering one!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

You will get horrible surface finishes on your lathe work with a scraping cutter like that. Very few species of wood get a suitable finish, and open pore woods will just be horrible.

Blog Entries
    As I read more, I become more intimidated. I think as many as 3 tool changes may be required.
    Best Regards, Maurice

As I read more, I become more intimidated. I think as many as 3 tool changes may be required.
    We do that naturally when we turn manually. But for "production" spindle work, if the tooling in the carrier is designed well and kept sharp, it should give a reasonable cut for your application. This stuff is done all the time out there in wood manufacturing land for spindles lf all kinds. If you choose your material carefully, the results will be fine.
    --

Blog Entries
    I have decided against the STYLECNC mini lathe. I hope to find a vintage made in the US tool room lathe and experiment with analogue duplicating. I think I can make a duplicator something like the one in this video work.

Best Regards, Maurice

If your interest is in duplicating simple turned spindle shapes, cnc is unnecessary, but it does offer almost unlimited possibilities for embellishment. It would be worth chatting up Doug Rasmussen on the AAW forum about the bits he uses for clean cutting.

I have decided against the STYLECNC mini lathe. I hope to find a vintage made in the US tool room lathe and experiment with analogue duplicating. I think I can make a duplicator something like the one in this video work.
    When I was working in the tool and die trade we had a tracer lathe that was pretty slick. It had on the backside a mount to put templates and a second tool post that was hydraulically moved into the work. You still adjusted how much you were removing with the regular cross slide. It was pretty slick but was mostly used for some dedicated parts that were needed for production. Attached link for the same brand one but the one we had was more like a 20" swing. HES was the brand however.

http://yodermachinery.com/inventory.aspx?ti=61478
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-28-2023 at 9:06 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging