Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Regarding A small CNC Wood Lathe

Blog Entries

Advice Regarding A small CNC Wood Lathe

I am thinking about getting a small CNC wood lathe. I do not see many for sale on the web. Does anyone have one? Or any experience with STYLECNC?

Mini Benchtop Wood Lathe for Small Wood Crafts & Arts | STYLECNC

I have spent a good amount of time following some of the threads here and have become intrigued. I will be starting from scratch with CAD. Our Career Center has courses.

Thanks, Maurice

Gary Campbell is a good resource. You can pm him on this site.

Doug Rasmussen has posted some interesting cnc "turned" work on the AAW forum (eliciting considerable pushback from some participants). Search there for "cnc oval bowl", "seeing the curve" and "slow adopters of technology".
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 02-11-2023 at 11:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Kevin! I am enjoying checking those two out! I will join AAW.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Maurice, AAW membership includes a ton of benefits including projects, articles and videos along with online access to all back issues of the American Woodturner magazine and new issues mailed to your house ever other month. The AAW forums though are open to the public and do not require AAW membership. I am an AAW member and feel the benefits are worth the membership.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Chris! I have joined AAW. I have not spent a whole lot of time looking around yet but see that CNC tool holders can be an add on to a traditional lathe.
    I think I will start looking for a real lathe while I see if I can make any headway learning software.
    Best Regards, Maurice

6. I happen to have just purchased a STM1530C 5’x10’ CNC from StyleCNC. The giant container ship carrying my machine finally is close enough to have a firm arrival date of Feb 28th. I would be happy to give you a review of the delivered quality when it is in my shop. But they gave me the phone number of a previous customer in the states and he has had no issues with his CNC over the past 5 years.

Overall the company was easy to work with and let me design a machine with the specifications I wanted. You can feel free to ask them to change around parts or size, they build the machines so they can customize the size, length, motors, etc. Just ask for exactly what you want and do some research on specific parts that you want it built with.

Ask for Therese and tell her Matt Rogers said Hi.

Blog Entries
    Wow a 5' X 10'! That is exciting. If you post A review or demo I will enjoy following along.

I found this missed opportunity yesterday. The StyleCNC is more like what I have in mind
    Velocity CNC lathe in Halstead, KS | Item LU9399 sold | Purple Wave
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I am thinking about getting a small CNC wood lathe. I do not see many for sale on the web. Does anyone have one? Or any experience with STYLECNC?

Mini Benchtop Wood Lathe for Small Wood Crafts & Arts | STYLECNC

I have spent a good amount of time following some of the threads here and have become intrigued. I will be starting from scratch with CAD. Our Career Center has courses.

Thanks, Maurice
    Very interesting and the price is right also. The other person has ordered a CNC router direct from China and its going to be over $20,000 but its not a lathe.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

9. Unfortunately I started a post about my purchasing experience already, but Bill George decided that he thought I was a paid salesman for the company and was advertising, which couldn’t be further from the truth. The thread got shut down after many people here started bashing all Chinese machines and saying that they are crap and you get what you pay for and that I must be paid by the company to promote them.

I also ordered an on-the-bed 4th axis rotary attachment from them. It is an option on all the CNC machines in a variety of sizes from the small portable one I got 4”x6’ ($500) up to 20”x10’ sizes ($2000) as an addition to a 3 axis machine. I do not have many uses for it, but with the time is takes to go through the entire process, $500 was a small price to pay to at least have some 4th axis functionality. I did not want to take up extra room in my shop for a full size unit that expends the size of the machine bed, so I opted for the movable unit that I can store away when not needed. It is more setup, but hopefully will be easily doable when necessary.

My machine should be ready to pickup a few days after Feb 28th and back in my shop my March 5th, but delays are always possible. Setup is only supposed to take a few hours, but it depends on how far I want to place the vacuum pumps and the associated plumbing. But there is only supposed to be a few sheet metal covers to install, level the machine, hook up air line, power cables, and duct collection hoses. No assembly required other than basic setup.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Very interesting and the price is right also. The other person has ordered a CNC router direct from China and its going to be over $20,000 but its not a lathe.
    All the CNC machines have 4th axis lathe attachments either as a standalone fixture, or a bed-mounted heavy unit. Lots of options the mount either along the short X-axis or along the entire Y-axis (up to 20” swing), or a small inexpensive removable set of ways, indexing headstock, and tail stock like I got (available in 4-10” swings and lengths of 6-10’).

So it is a 4th axis lathe as well. The upgrade cost was $500 for this option. I was quoted $1500 for the full size Y axis model on a 4x8 machine during the quoting process when discussing options.

Interesting how the Thread got changed, the OP is posting about a lathe. But its changed to buying from China again, you do have to wonder? Ask for Therese and tell her Matt Rogers said Hi.

I have a OneFinity. They recently added a new controller to their lineup. One of it's advantages is it has a 5th axis. With that 5th axis they added an inexpensive CNC lathe from Amazon (about $300). They had to swap out the stepper motor but the end result was very good. I can do it with mine as long as I swap the cables going to one of my axis over to the lathe's stepper. You don't need to have an X and Y so it's not a big deal. The only reason I haven't done it yet is the cheap Chinese lathes usually have a metal chuck. Sooner or later I'm going to buy one and see if I can modify it so it has a standard 1 1/4" x 8 tpi threads. That way I can use my Vicmark chuck along with all my jaws.

Blog Entries
    Info about the StyleCNC company in general is very welcome! I have a few things that were purchased China direct and they have worked out. The price point of the StyleCMC mini lathe is part of the attraction. These are the main items I am thinking about this for. The taper and tip of drumsticks, end pins, and bridge pins.

IMG_1288.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-14-2023 at 5:24 PM. Reason: image
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Info about the StyleCNC company in general is very welcome! I have a few things that were purchased China direct and they have worked out. The price point of the StyleCMC mini lathe is part of the attraction. These are the main items I am thinking about this for. The taper and tip of drumsticks, end pins, and bridge pins.

IMG_1288.jpg
    I would have no issues ordering from them, there are no USA makers that I can see. This one might be a little small for your needs. You saw this Link? I am sure input your name and see what they can do for you. https://www.stylecnc.com/wood-lathe/...d-turning.html

I ordered direct from China a Rayfine Galvo Fiber laser and did the payment in direct wire transfer, but that was 10 years ago!
    Last edited by Bill George; 02-14-2023 at 5:48 PM.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Interesting how the Thread got changed, the OP is posting about a lathe. But its changed to buying from China again, you do have to wonder? Ask for Therese and tell her Matt Rogers said Hi.
    The OP specifically asked about purchasing a CNC lathe from the company StyleCNC in the initial post, Bill. It is exactly on topic to answer his question with my purchasing experience as that is what he is looking to do likewise. And telling him my sales person gives him a person to contact at the company who I found to be responsive and easy to work with.

This is what I am talking about. I posted exactly answering the post, the OP's direct question, and I get flak from you. Can you just give it up? Apparently not. This is what retired guys have time for apparently.