Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking to buy a new computer

Blog Entries

Well the KVM switch idea is going nowhere

I wanted to have both computers available, so I thought a KVM switch was just what I needed....not so fast. First one I ordered had no VDMI connection, so it went back, second one I ordered didn't work at all & it went back. Third one I ordered did switch computers, but it didn't recognize the wireless keyboard or mouse, and internet didn't work either, so it went back. I guess if I want to use both computers, I'll just be changing wires from one computer to another.
    Dennis

computer broke before Christmas. Now running Linux, win 7, win 10 same time. Seperate keyboard and mouse for each one though the Anywhere 3 mouses can run up to three computers at once. Its neat to see how each one deals with the same thing.

Dennis, I'm honestly not surprised that the KVM didn't work out very well with two very different generations of machines. Wireless keyboards and rodents don't normally even talk to a KVM but maybe there are current ones that can deal with that. Hopefully, you don't need a whole lot of time still working on the old machine and can put this all behind you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I realize it doesn't apply to Dennis' setup, but if you're looking for a KVM switch for two computers using HDMI, I can heartily recommend this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CZBPGGH
    It's very small and switches either from a button on top or a couple of keystroke combinations.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries

So I'm done with my new computer installation (I hope)

So the new computer is installed, everything has been transferred from the old computer to the new computer (at least that's what my grandson says).
    As I said in an earlier post the KVM switch idea went nowhere.
    I'm happy with the new computer, it's very fast, I just hope it lasts.
    I did buy some of the extensions you suggested Lee, it helps to reduce the rat's nest, thanks.
    I bought a new wireless keyboard and mouse, and this helped with the rat's nest problem.

Thanks for all the responses, this helpless non-computer person learned a lot throughout the process.

PS At the end of all this my wife said to me: " if your old computer was working well, why did you buy a new one?" Good question
    Dennis

I see no harm in updating to a new computer from one that's pretty aged, even if it's "working". It's nice to benefit from a clean slate, faster technology and compatibility with current hardware standards. It also helps prevent the angst that can come from "age related failure", especially when one isn't a computer guru. And unlike "back in the day" it's possible to get really capable gear for a very small outlay in money. Enjoy!
    --

KVM switches, while handy, can suck. The computer I'm using now, an old Dell Optiplex 790 that's sitting on the floor under my workdesk, is connected to an IOGEAR 'scroll-lock' KVM switch along with my Old Dell T5400 Workstation, both running Win7 Ultimate64; I need both computers in one spot because the 2 Gravograph laser engravers I'm using can't share the same computer (driver issue)... The KVM worked wonderfully, switches over via a double pounce on the Scroll Lock button, quick 'n easy. I say "worked" because last weekend it simply stopped switching over. My workaround is, I have a switchable USB multiport plug connected to each computer now, with the to-the-KVM cables connected to them, and they're both close enough to work the switches with my 2 hands without moving or leaning over -- result is the same, I turn the working computer's USB switch off, turn the other computer's switch on, and the computer's switch... same thing but slower...

I also have a 4 port KVM, electronic with pushbutton changeover switches, it works half right, monitor works with all, and all the computers will work 'by themselves' with the common keyboard & mouse I'm using, but half the time I have to unplug and re-plug in the mouse 'radio' and keyboard plugs at the switch to get the chosen computer to see them, and about half THAT time the computer just won't see them anyway.

As to the actual 'looking to buy a new computer' topic-- I just bought 4 'new' computers, all older Dell SFF Optiplex's, and all now running Win7 Ultimate64... I think I paid $140 total for them, and about $25 for 4 Window's licenses for them. Purely for work. I also bought four 250gig SSD's for them, all of $35 each, and a bunch of 8gig memory sticks. 3 are running 16gigs ram, 1 has 20gigs. All will boot up in less than 20 seconds, and they're lighting fast

One day I should video my HP laptop booting up its Win10 OS, it's ridiculous... It takes many minutes (like almost 20!) after pressing the ON button before I can even USE it. The ONLY reason I have the thing is you can't do TurboTax on a Win7, and I think as of this year, a Win8 won't go either...

I've tried virtual machines, but they have their own headaches, I never had any luck with getting the host to share the USB ports correctly with the VM...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev you have a unique situation with all your computers because of the need to support older software and machines. I sure am glad I don't have that problem!!!
    --

At work, I use a TESmart 8 port KVM on my bench. It works great - it has buttons for each channel, or you can switch with keyboard command or mouse gestures. It supports UHD resolution (HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2) and works great with wireless keyboard/mouse (I've used a Microsoft Wireless Desktop 850 and 900). They make a 4 port model of this unit as well. It's not cheap at about $130, but it works much better than most other KVM units I've tried.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    At work, I use a TESmart 8 port KVM on my bench. It works great - it has buttons for each channel, or you can switch with keyboard command or mouse gestures. It supports UHD resolution (HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2) and works great with wireless keyboard/mouse (I've used a Microsoft Wireless Desktop 850 and 900). They make a 4 port model of this unit as well. It's not cheap at about $130, but it works much better than most other KVM units I've tried.
    Derek
    Thanks for the information. I looked at their kvm switches and there are so many, clearly aimed at the professional, that I found it confusing. I emailed them with my requirements and am waiting to hear back from them. You’re right, they’re not cheap , I’m not sure I’m ready to spend $130 ( but on second thought that’s only the price of a good ten inch sawblade, many of which I own, I’m addicted to sawblades, but that’s another story) I’ll let you know what they respond to me
    Dennis

Kev find yourself an old retired tech and your stuff will run well again with no issues. I talked to 7 or 8 people and got the no way you need to upgrade to windows 85 blah blah blah from all of them.

found someone who knew his stuff. Reminds me of past customers telling me I had to have CNC to do their work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    Derek
    Thanks for the advice. I went back and forth with several emails to Tesmart and they were extraordinarily responsive. I ordered a KVM switch from them, it cost $100 (the other 3 i got & returned were $25-30). I hope this one works, if not, they do accept returns.
    Dennis