Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best tool for small round tenons?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This might be a good task for a small metal lathe or at least the tooling mechanism from one as it allows for very precise and controlled cuts...you'll get the diameter you want nailed as well as the flat shoulder since it takes your hands completely out of the picture. When working with wood, it's natural for us to focus on tools that are hand guided, but some tasks really are best handled by turning a crank.
    I had the same thought. You could chuck up a length of dowel and cut tenons on each end then turn two stops at the same time on your wood lathe either head to head or tenon to tenon.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I want one for drumsticks. I have just about decided I can get away with a better lathe and an old fashioned duplicator. I did come across this how its made video for a making whole bunch of round wood items accurately. It is long but some might enjoy it.

Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    That's a brilliant idea of using a metal lathe, Jim.
    One of the folks I watch on the 'Tube is Ben from Crimson Guitars. In his home shop, he has a small metal lathe that he most often uses for the expected things...metal work. But occasionally, he employs it for some wood components where "getting it sized right" is critical. The ability to manipulate the cutter both forward and back as well as laterally (diameter) in very precise ways is exactly what I was thinking relative to Roger's situation. Pretty much a manually operated horizontal milling machine. I'd honestly love to add a small one of these to my shop someday.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I want one for drumsticks. I have just about decided I can get away with a better lathe and an old fashioned duplicator. I did come across this how its made video for a making whole bunch of round wood items accurately. It is long but some might enjoy it.
    Work support is the most challenging part of making things like that because vibration and wobble is NOT your friend. The duplication type accessories does help insure consistency in the shaping and that's critically important for drumsticks so they feel and weigh the same as pairs.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I need to make several hundred handles for the stoppers in organ pipes. These will be glued to the stopper using a round tenon, 1/4 to 1/2" diameter, depending on the size of the stopper. I can turn them on my wood lathe, but getting a good fit requires time and attention. I'm wondering if there is a good tenon cutter I can use, preferably on the lathe, to quickly make an accurately sized tenon up to 3/4" long in that size range. Ideally it would leave a square corner so that the handles will sit down flush without further trimming. I see much larger ones for rustic furniture making from companies like Lee Valley, but they are too big and won't leave a square corner.

Here's a picture of some shapes I've been playing with:

Attachment 495241

(posting in the general form rather than turning because I thought this is the sort of thing that people making things like square balusters might use)

Roger, I use the Sorby Sizing Tool ….

Chairmaker, Tim Manney, discusses his micro adjust for it here: http://timmanneychairmaker.blogspot....zing-tool.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

FYI: A 14x40 metal lathe of modern design will have only a 1.5" spindle bore. If I had to make these I would make them in my 13x40 lathe. Chuck it buried in the chuck. Drill a center hole in he end of the stock. Extend it out enough for the tennon and cut that. then extend it all the way to form the curved part using a live center. part it off and maybe reverse the tennon into the chuck to smooth out the big end. No CNC required but...
    Bill D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFWAHLYrgO8

Dado blade on table saw, using square stock. Watched WoodSmith Shop today, and that's how they did tenons on chair legs. Google " cutting round tenons on square stock," and several videos will pop up. You will have to make a couple different sized jigs to run in miter slot on TS. Cut a tenon on each end, then turn stock to needed size.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Work support is the most challenging part of making things like that because vibration and wobble is NOT your friend. The duplication type accessories does help insure consistency in the shaping and that's critically important for drumsticks so they feel and weigh the same as pairs.
    Yes, I wish I could see inside the machines that do the tricky part at the Vic Firth factory. I have a process that works well on an antique toy lathe but it takes an hour to make a pair. Vic Firth is fairly good about their quality control. I have been in music stores with wood worker drummers and gotten embarrassed while they scrutinize every stick in the store before finding their pair, often from two different packages. Perfectly straight grain and both sticks made from the same split billet is where I start. All for a $10 item, it is silliness!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Don't underestimate just how much a skilled musician can "feel" the difference here...the human body and mind can be pretty amazing.
    --