Thread: G&G Type Picture Frame

Blog Entries

G&G Type Picture Frame

This is actually a prototype for a design I have been playing with. There is sepele and mahogany in this build so there is some color and figure variation that was not part of the target . Typical G&G design elements in the cloud lifts and ebony accents. The leather hangers add a bit of flair for the target client.

Shayna and Blake Frame Proto (33).jpg

This one is sized for an 8x10 in portrait orientation. Walnut will probably end up being the wood of choice for a few future versions.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like it - good job!
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Nice. I'm a real fan of the genre. I've found both Makore and Spanish Cedar work very well too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Looks great. I love G&G.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Well done - nice frame Glenn. With it are you prototyping the design, the build, the joinery, the method of hanging, or? Sometimes sketchup, for instance, just does not give me the info and feedback that a real object does, and changes are made after a pine sample is constructed. Curious if you are going to change anything. Or if the client is.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Nicely done Glenn!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Well done - nice frame Glenn. With it are you prototyping the design, the build, the joinery, the method of hanging, or? Sometimes sketchup, for instance, just does not give me the info and feedback that a real object does, and changes are made after a pine sample is constructed. Curious if you are going to change anything. Or if the client is.
    I had done it up in SU.

Shayna and Blake Frame Proto (0).jpg

Some of the involved folks have a little trouble visualizing so I did one up out of scrap primarily. Now that it is in their hands they are getting the drift so to speak. I believe the wood will change to walnut with ebony accents but the overall appearance will remain the same with the exception of the picture being landscape or portrait. I was definitely adding design elements slowly. With the "gotta have" of a leather element I wanted to be careful with other items like pegs or exposed joinery. I think we have all seen at least one piece that looks like it was shot with the "design element" shotgun; too much of too many good things
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-15-2023 at 7:48 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

"design element shotgun" - I like that. Good that they can see the prototype and handle it. Takes some of the worry out of the build. Looking forward to the final version.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I love the leather hangers. Never seen anything like it. Is that your invention or had you seen it somewhere before? The hanger bar and leather seem incongruent with G&G though.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I love the leather hangers. Never seen anything like it. Is that your invention or had you seen it somewhere before? The hanger bar and leather seem incongruent with G&G though.

John

I'm not sure I'd say that....

Here's one based on a design from John Hall, one of the craftsman that worked on the Greene and Greene bungalows. I've seen a couple other variations on the theme, but admittedly those were more of a Mission vibe (think Stickley and Roycroft)

There's also one shown in the Gamble House tour shown below at about 7:49 (LINK)

Screenshot 2023-02-16 060821.jpg
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 02-16-2023 at 6:17 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.