Thread: Old chest of drawers

Old chest of drawers

Bought old chest of drawers for rehab/refinish for donation - spent $60. Wild guess is it is from 1910 -1920? It has these vertically oriented steel clips
    on the front rails. I have never seen this before...over the years it has worn a groove in the bottom of the drawer. Anybody see these before? Perhaps
    they were added to lift the drawers up? dresser front.jpgdresser front without drawer.jpgdresser clips.jpgdresser clips 2.jpgdresser bottom worn.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Rainey; 02-10-2023 at 12:36 PM.

I guess it’s just another kind of stop to make fronts align with case. The drawer guides look like they are worn down…scientists call
    that “ failure to keep up bees wax regimen on drawer sliding and bearing surfaces “. Agree with the time period.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I guess it’s just another kind of stop to make fronts align with case. The drawer guides look like they are worn down…scientists call
    that “ failure to keep up bees wax regimen on drawer sliding and bearing surfaces “. Agree with the time period.
    I agree with Mel, it may also be a stop to stop the drawer from being pulled all the way out of the chest. What you are seeing is typical of a well used older chest of drawers with wooden runners. Lube with paraffin would have reduce the wear for a while but it needs to be renewed fairly often and most folks don't do that. You can trim the drawer sides and repair them by gluing on a new appropriately sized sacrificial strip to the bottom edge of the drawer side. That repair should give you another hundred years or so of use.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This just in ! To my brain. People actually did put babies in open drawers. That could be the reason for the stop. Gotta remember that
    piece was some years ahead of Ralf Nader . I learned that baby in drawer tip from reading the old Moon Mullins comic strip. Mom and
    Dad verified that it was actually done. But I had a real crib.

We don't have any furniture that new, so can't help with the questions. Never seen those metal stops before. I have found Renaissance Wax to be wonderful stuff on wooden drawer friction parts that lasts a Long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I agree with Mel, it may also be a stop to stop the drawer from being pulled all the way out of the chest. What you are seeing is typical of a well used older chest of drawers with wooden runners. Lube with paraffin would have reduce the wear for a while but it needs to be renewed fairly often and most folks don't do that. You can trim the drawer sides and repair them by gluing on a new appropriately sized sacrificial strip to the bottom edge of the drawer side. That repair should give you another hundred years or so of use.
    Thanks Lee, I think I will glue some strips on

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    This just in ! To my brain. People actually did put babies in open drawers. That could be the reason for the stop. Gotta remember that
    piece was some years ahead of Ralf Nader . I learned that baby in drawer tip from reading the old Moon Mullins comic strip. Mom and
    Dad verified that it was actually done. But I had a real crib.
    Mel, you are right! My mother told the story of living in an apartment in Washington DC and using the bottom drawer for a crib for my older brother during WW2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    We don't have any furniture that new, so can't help with the questions. Never seen those metal stops before. I have found Renaissance Wax to be wonderful stuff on wooden drawer friction parts that lasts a Long time.
    Thanks Tom!

I just googled up baby storage . In mid 1950 s , a doctor thought up a great way to store babies…close to Mom ! There are real pics
    of new Moms in bed. With their new baby in file cabinet ! Drawer above baby bed was removed for light and air !
    This is real ! So Moon Mullins wasn’t just a cartoon strip, it was all about Science ! How was that technology lost?

I always liked this- from Fine Woodworking "Design Book Three";

IMG_3919.jpegIMG_3918.jpeg

The dresser I grew up with had those metal clips for drawer stops. It had been handed down, I wasn't the first user; I started using it in about '57.

Terry