Thread: PCD bits from China

PCD bits from China

Since my other thread got closed down. I wanted to show off the new PCD compression end mills that I just got, again direct from a Chinese manufacturer. Cost a whopping $112 for two bits including express shipping (sarcasm if you know PCD). Took 6 days for shipping - and no customs required.

One is 12mm diameter with 27mm cutting depth and the other is 16mm diameter with 42mm cutting depth. I’ll post pictures when I get back to my computer. But these things are nice. I’ll have to spring to higher quality collets for them to reduce any potential runout.

Compare the 12mm to this bit.

https://factorydirectsupplyonline.co...RoCZu8QAvD_BwE

Cool. I've not used those kinds of bits before. Interesting to calculate chipload with 3 flutes.

This is called a 1+1 bit, so it has kinda 1 flute. Or it really has 2 flutes, but the cutters are arranged in a staggered chip breaker orientation with each one overlapping the next 50%. So I am not actually sure if it is calculated as 1 or 2 flute, but I think 1. It was available in 2 or 3 flute options as well, but I assume that those would have to be run at completely obscene feeds and speeds to keep a 5/8” 3 flute cutter going.

I also have to investigate the difference between carbide and PCD in terms of chipload. My spindle and machine can handle any speed and feed, but i don’t need super fast production so finding a good balance will be key.