Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finishing plywood edges for bathroom vanity

Finishing plywood edges for bathroom vanity

I’m finishing a bathroom vanity today for installation in a house flip I’m doing. The construction is 3/4 white oak veneer ply, and solid 3/4 oak with a quartz top, and it’s a modern floating style vanity.

There are exposed plywood edges on parts of the internal framing, bottom and rear that I want to make sure aren’t at risk for moisture damage.

I’ve currently put on a pretty thick coat of TotalBoat Halcyon water based poly on all of these edges, as well as the inside faces; and I plan on at least one more coat. (Will do the same for drawer boxes, possibly with shellac as well)

Is this sufficient for my needs or should I seek further sealing?

(The visible portions of the vanity will be finished in Rubio Smoke 5%, FWIW)

I think it will be fine. I used Halcyon on some garage doors about a year ago, and the bottom panels of them are exposed to Sun for half the day, and get rain splashed on them. They still look like I did them yesterday. I know a year is not much of a test, but compared to cabinet parts that aren't even exposed I think it will be fine.

I agree with Tom. Unless water can actually accumulate on those component ends, the finish you've applied to give some sealing benefits will help moisture move away. That's the key with dealing with moisture in pretty much all aspects of a home/structure. Water happens. Keeping it moving out and away is what preserves things for a long time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. My skills aren’t quite professional, but this is fairly simple and so far turning out pretty good. And, saving a ton of money over custom mill work or pre-fab cr@p.

Yea Halcyon is great stuff. The steam from a shower sounds like the only real moisture problem and if it's sealed well, zero worries.

IMO, people worry too much about bathrooms and water exposure. Doesn't everyone who does a bath remodel install a fan? It's code with any new house, too, I believe. There just isn't much steam or or water unless there's a real leak, and then you have problems a lot more serious than worrying about exposed plywood edges. All plywood has waterproof glue these days.

OP, your plan is more than sufficient. Those edges will never be a problem.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Doesn't everyone who does a bath remodel install a fan? It's code with any new house, too, I believe.
    John
    If I could get my kids to turn on the fan half the time they shower, I'd be happy... I'd also be happy to tell them "it's code" but it would go in one ear and out the other.

Water Exposure, lots of bathrooms have a 5/8 x 5/8 inch channel around 3 walls. It’s a code violation but happens anyway. I’m almost
    finished fixing one of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Water Exposure, lots of bathrooms have a 5/8 x 5/8 inch channel around 3 walls. It’s a code violation but happens anyway. I’m almost
    finished fixing one of mine.
    Please explain. A channel around 3 walls? Where? What's its purpose?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    If I could get my kids to turn on the fan half the time they shower, I'd be happy... I'd also be happy to tell them "it's code" but it would go in one ear and out the other.

I still wouldn't worry about it. It's just water vapor and only lasts as long as the shower. No matter how long the shower, it's just not an issue. If it starts condensing on things besides a window, you have bigger problems.

John

After the perimeter is established a bath room often has a plywood floor on top of the sub floor that will be covered with vinyl , linoleum
    or , something else. There are pour-in products sold for that specific use .

I don't get the channel thing, either Mel. Can you provide a photo or illustration about what you are referring to? I've never seen anything that looks like that verbal description in any bathroom I've, um...taken apart...and put back together.
    --

Jim , I’m thinking Tom King could explain it better. Could be that there is more than one method .

Are you referring to the potential gap that might be there between the flooring substrate and the sub-floor around the perimeter because it wasn't sized out to the full dimension of the room?
    --

Yes, I read it’s a code thing, but it seems it gets “no respect “