Thread: 3M Cubitron

3M Cubitron

I'm looking to try this product but there seem to be several versions on the online giant store. Some have a chevron type pattern, some have a spiral type dust collection hole pattern and others have no apparent holes. I'm assuming all need the protective pad that goes between the sanding disc and the sanders hook and loop? I've been using AO and SC discs for years but would like to experiment a bit. Feedback and info appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I tried a sample pack and did get the protective pads. All use hook loop. The dust collection was noticeably better than my standard 8 hole paper which was already pretty good. About the same as with the mesh products.

cubitron.jpgBosch-w-hose.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm using the chevron mesh/net style and they work great. I simply add one of the festool protective pads between it and my festool sander pad. Price wise, they are cheaper than the diablo brand at HD when you can catch them on sale at Amazon. They come 50 in the box for $19 right now. Here is the listing name to search for the ones I'm using for 220 grit. Regards.

3M Xtract Cubitron II Net Disc 710W, 220+, 5 in, Die 500X, Pack of 50 Hook and Loop Sanding Discs, Virtually Dust-Free, Premium Option for Metal, Wood, Composites, Stock Removal, and Fine Finishing

The three types of disks you listed are slightly different from each other:

Chevron Pattern - Likely referring to the 710W model which is a mesh (net) disk that uses a ceramic abrasive material.

No Holes - Likely referring to the 310W model, which is another mesh / net disk but uses a more typical aluminum oxide abrasive.

Spiral Hole Design - This is the original 3M Cubitron disk. Uses the newer ceramic abrasive but uses a film backing, not a mesh-backed disk.

Of the three I've only used the 710W disks with my ETS 125 and liked the results. Am using the protection pad as well. Not sure if the original Cubitron necessitates the protection pad, but the 710W and 310W do.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 02-09-2023 at 12:20 PM.

Try Mirka Abranet Ace. Longer lasting and better scratch than Cubitron and yet similar price.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I have been using 3M Xtract Cubitron II which is a screen. I've used it on my Milwaukee RO and also Festool. Always with the protective pad installed. The dust collection is great as it's a screen and pulls the dust out of the wood surface, pores, and the air, very well.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!