Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time for a new mailbox.

We have two RF gate door bells. When the gate is opened, the two halves separate, and a ding dong is heard in the home. When the mail box is opened, another ding dong is heard in the house. These RF alarms are about $30.

The dogs go wild when they go off, a third alarm.
    Regards,

Tom

I have a mailbox like the square-ish second one in the pic above, it's in the pic below... Actually got it to keep my dad from stealing the mail when frontal lobe dementia got the best of him

--Works great, but the mailman can't PICK UP mail from it because it's locked- so we have a second large normal mailbox next to it, for outgoing mail pickup and large-stuff deliveries...

--below, a security-cam still-shot of the thieves who stole 2 outgoing checks from our big box.
    They succeeded in morphing one of our checks with a check stolen from someone else, made it out for $998 and Walmart cashed the thing
    --The bank DID refund our money however...
    mailthief.jpg

That was a couple years ago, since then I've never written another check to pay a bill. All bills on autopay ever since...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I read an article recently that suggests you use gel ink to write checks because gel ink cannot be washed from checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    The mail thieves finally hit my house. My daughter gets a lot of checks in the mail for her dyslexia tutoring business. This week, several parents reported that their checks to her had been washed, and changed to a new recipient. About $1500 worth of checks, from different people are involved so far.

Obviously, our mailbox was raided.

Time for a new lockable box. Any ideas? We don't really want it to look like a steel vault, and we do get a lot of mail including large magazines.
    When a COVID night shift nurse creamed our limestone block mailbox coming home one morning from multiple shifts two summers ago, we replaced it with a mailcase locking mailbox. It has done well for us so far.

https://www.mailcase.com/

It is more secure than a traditional open mailbox, but as with anything it depends on how much motivation someone has as to how secure it would be.

John

Well, our locking, parcel sized mailbox arrived from Amazon yesterday and I am about to cut up the plastic mailbox housing at the curb to see if it will hold the weight (about 25#).

You can really go down a rabbit hole trying to determine which box serves individual needs. I watched you tube vids on installing, how strong they are, and how easy it is for a determined man with a baseball bat and a screwdriver can get into any of them.

In the end, my conclusion was that any of them will stop the criminals who just walk down the street, opening mail boxes, and cherry picking any interesting mail. Since nothing short of welded steel boxes will stop a determined crook, any locking box will fit our needs.

In the meantime, while I was contemplating, my resident daughter who lost the checks ordered the box she thought was the best size, a large square one that small parcels would fit it from Architectual Mailboxes.

Gotta get to work on it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick, I went with a much larger "parcel capable" box both at the old property and here at the new one. Here, it's looking way out of proportion because it's just on a simple 3.5" square (rotting) post, but I'll be rectifying that soon. I like the large boxes given just how much stuff gets delivered here and more often than not, the smaller parcels are coming via the post office with "economy" shipping.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd suggest PayPal and Venmo as a first choice, followed by a PO Box. I can't see the end of paper checks soon enough; as treasurer of a small club I find them to be a constant PITA. In my private life I've gotten it down to 1-2 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I'd suggest PayPal and Venmo as a first choice, followed by a PO Box. I can't see the end of paper checks soon enough; as treasurer of a small club I find them to be a constant PITA. In my private life I've gotten it down to 1-2 a month.
    I am the treasurer of a Boy Scout troop. A lot of parents pay by check because of the cost of Paypal. Our website takes Paypal and automatically credits the payment to the youth's account, but we also charge the Paypal fee to the payor. We decided it isn't fair that those that pay by check have to pay more to cover Paypal fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I am the treasurer of a Boy Scout troop. A lot of parents pay by check because of the cost of Paypal. Our website takes Paypal and automatically credits the payment to the youth's account, but we also charge the Paypal fee to the payor. We decided it isn't fair that those that pay by check have to pay more to cover Paypal fees.
    We're a 501c3 so the fees are pretty cheap. I just pay them myself because it's worth it to me to save the time and effort it takes to process the checks. I can do 100 electronic transactions in about 30 seconds, the remaining 20 checks take at least 20 minutes, and then there's the guy who mails me postal money orders that require a trip to the post office to cash (neither ATMs nor electronic deposits will take them, don't know about a cashier at the bank, their closest office is 300 miles away) and then do a paypal to myself to get the cash into a form that I can easily send to our bank. I've been thinking about giving him a free membership.

I invite people to add the 36 cents or whatever it is to their dues payment to cover the paypal fee because it makes some people feel better, about half do so. It's much less than the cost of a stamp and envelope to send the check by mail, so a good deal for everyone