Thread: Source for colored TREX or PVC?

Source for colored TREX or PVC?

Been traveling with the RV and many of the various campgrounds have "plastic" adirondack chairs and other outside furniture made with various colors of TREX or PVC materials. My google-fu has failed me and I can't seem to find a source. It's probably prohibitively expense anyway but I'd still like to poke around.

Anyone know where this stuff comes from?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

HDPE is the sheet stock you would use for adirondack chairs (assuming we aren’t talking about the injection-molded ones you can buy at lowe’s, HD, etc.).

Any local plastics distributor should offer HDPE in 4x8 sheets. It’s a common material in the trades. Hope this helps,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

do Google searchs for "plastic lumber" and " HDPE lumber" and maybe "HDPE wood"

We've been looking at them for several years for lake rental houses, and only just recently has the price come way down to the point that it's not worth making them.

Trex is "composite lumber", so "colored composite lumber" would be the search target.

I think one brand is called Polywood. Better be sitting down when you see the price.

I wanted some small pieces for making Orioles feeders. They'll have to settle for cedar.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Trex is available at Home Depot and Lowe's. There are a bunch of similar products by different manufacturers. It's all ridiculously overpriced and lacks the strength of wood so be ready for some sticker shock and over engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    HDPE is the sheet stock you would use for adirondack chairs (assuming we aren’t talking about the injection-molded ones you can buy at lowe’s, HD, etc.).

Any local plastics distributor should offer HDPE in 4x8 sheets. It’s a common material in the trades. Hope this helps,

Erik
    Thanks Erik, HDPE is exactly the stuff I meant.
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    do Google searchs for "plastic lumber" and " HDPE lumber" and maybe "HDPE wood"

We've been looking at them for several years for lake rental houses, and only just recently has the price come way down to the point that it's not worth making them.
    Where are you seeing lower prices? Still way out of my reach!
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

I just did a Google search for "adirondack chairs" and a bunch came up. There are a number of decent looking ones for 200 or less, even from places like Sam's Club and Wayfair. Ones we've seen before were 3 to 400.

We use 20 at a lake rental house in several locations. I don't have time to build 20, didn't want the upkeep of wood, and even at 200 it's more than we want to put in them this year, so we'll go another year with the 25 buck plastic ones from Ace, Lowes, or Home Depot, which so far no one has commented on, and at least they're pretty comfortable.

Sorry, Photoshop not opening today to right pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Adirondack chairs are nice, but as I have said before …I think the idea of the design was to just make them inexpensive and hard to
    steal. Many times I’ve seen them moved out of the sun by two people. Windsor chairs were originally used outdoors. They can be
    bought cheap at thrift stores. Paint , use , move them around with one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Adirondack chairs are nice, but as I have said before …I think the idea of the design was to just make them inexpensive and hard to
    steal. Many times I’ve seen them moved out of the sun by two people. Windsor chairs were originally used outdoors. They can be
    bought cheap at thrift stores. Paint , use , move them around with one hand.
    Adirondack chairs are bulky and hard to move, kind of like me, but are at the top of my list of wooden chairs for comfort. I could sit all night in one around a fire with a bag of roasted peanuts. A Windsor chair not so much.

Adirondacks can be broken down a bit for travel storage and built of a lighter weight wood. I would imagine for a camp setting rot resistance would need not to be much of a factor.

I bought (not built) Polywood Adirondack chairs from a local Mennonite shop about ten years ago. Tried to buy the materials and failed, none of the manufacturers or distributors would sell to me. I got a custom color (burgundy and black) and a table as well. Very expensive but worth every cent. Those chairs and table have been sitting out in the garden for ten years, unprotected from the New England weather, and they still look brand new. No stains, no fading, no rust (good stainless screws) and the only downside is that they weigh a ton so we don't move them. IIRC I paid around $300 each for the chairs, they are a lot more than that now.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983