Thread: Spindle Sander Wobble?

Spindle Sander Wobble?

Someone responded to my for sale ad on a Grizzly spindle sander and asked if the largest drum had any wobble. After checking I found little wobble or runout on the largest but some on the smallest. The wobble was more pronounced at the end, which suggests a bent spindle. I don't use spindle sanders much but never noticed that drum wobble being a problem. Is this normal or has it been that most of the work done is closer to the lower end of the spindle? Also, does anyone know what type taper is used to mate with the motor shaft?

Spindles do get bent ant it is more obvious at the free end. Generally you just bend them back. The taper is a Morse #2 with a 1/2-13 thread on the end.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Someone responded to my for sale ad on a Grizzly spindle sander and asked if the largest drum had any wobble. After checking I found little wobble or runout on the largest but some on the smallest. The wobble was more pronounced at the end, which suggests a bent spindle. I don't use spindle sanders much but never noticed that drum wobble being a problem. Is this normal or has it been that most of the work done is closer to the lower end of the spindle? Also, does anyone know what type taper is used to mate with the motor shaft?
    Hi Steve,

So sorry I never got back to you after I asked that question. That was my bad. I ended up buying a Jet JOVS-10 that was a lot closer to me that I was able to go and see and check out the wobble (no detectable wobble).

The reason I asked that question was because I purchased an older Jet benchtop spindle sander off of Craigslist that had a terrible wobble. After researching the issue and seeing quite a few posts on various forums it seems like Jet had a production or design issue with the larger spindles just being out of round in addition to the spindle runout on the benchtop unit I purchased. Several guys who purchased that unit new received warranty replacement spindles that were out of round as well. I came to the conclusion it wasn't reasonable for me to try and fix that unit and move on to a floor mounted sander.

While researching floor standing sanders, I found a few guys who reported wobble in the larger spindles on some of the newer Jet units. That is the reason I reached out and asked the question as well as I would have to drive a bit of a distance to check yours out.

I appreciate you getting back to me but I do apologize for not getting back to you. I wish you luck on selling yours.