Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shattered Amish stereotype.

Shattered Amish stereotype.

I saw an ad on line for some free cut off from a stair company. The name of the guy posting was very Amish sounding. First an Amish person giving something away free, is unusual. So I sent a message to the guy asking for a location and arranged to meet him at his shop. When I arrived it was a typical Amish farm with n electric wires visible, laundry hanging out on the line, a few dogs roaming around. Everything painted nice. Found the shop behind all the other buildings and went in. Fist machine inside the door was a massive cnc router with a table about 5 ft x 5 ft. There was also a variety of very high end saws and machines, all major brand name and all electric. I found the gent dressed as a typical Amish man, yacking in their version of German to someone on his cell phone and typing on a computer. I could see he was downloading a program for a laser engraver. He asked me to sit for a couple minutes while he finished. He pushed a couple buttons and then we went outside where he pushed a button to start a huge generator. We went back inside and he started flipping machines on, the last being a laser engraver. Then he showed me the bin where the wood scraps are stored and told me to help myself. I asked him about learning to operate the cnc machines and laser engraver. He said he went to the local tech college to learn. He saw my puzzled look and said, I can't afford a decent farm, so I have to work with my brain. The elders permit me to have all this, but I must use a generator, I can't be connected to the power company. Till we were done, he offered to teach me how to operate my laser engraver, for a small lesson fee of course. He even sells some of the patterns he developed. In a way, he was far more open about his business than most Amish. They generally don't like to talk about their way of life.

My old boss (right before I retired)was a manager (right out of college)for Walmart.
    He told me the last thing he ever thought he would have to say to someone, as a store manager, was to get on the overhead and say, "I need someone with a shovel to the hitching rail".
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

There is "yuge" variation within the overall Amish community about what levels of technology is allowed and disallowed from "nearly none" all the way to "practically no restrictions". Decisions on this are all local. So I'm not surprised at your observation. For that man's local group, eschewing "the grid" while allowing full use if you generate your own power seems to be their normal. The crew that put up my post frame structure for the new shop was comprised of four young Amish men (two brothers, a cousin and another unrelated man) plus a middle aged latino man who was the driver, the person who plugged in any cords or charged any batteries as well as one of the building crew shooting nails. That worked for them and apparently fit into their own groups rules.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We have Amish in Missouri and I used to see many at the woodworking shows when I used to go to them. A lot who look Amish are actually Mennonites which is much less restrictive. But I was told by some of them that some Amish were allowed to use power tools, just not own them.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Jim is correct. Each community has it's own bishop and he sets the rules. We have a full range of Anabaptists living in our area. https://www.bruderhof.com/what-is-an-anabaptist Within each community there are differences just like there are among Irish, German, Catholic, Lutheran etc. We have Old World Amish that are very generous with their help and resources. Stereotypes break down when you get to know people.

Blog Entries
    A Mennonite community has moved to our area in central MO and is having a very positive impact. There are Amish communities close by too. The sawmills, construction crews, and organic farms are very impressive. Dad was very poorly this Christmas and was paid caroling visit by the Mennonite school kids and young adults. Mom posted a little of the singing on Facebook. It was beautiful and very uplifting. Dad has gained 10 pounds since then!
    Best Regards, Maurice

There is a huge variation, but business is business.. and every Amish community I've been around has made at least some accommodations to be competitive.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

The area of central Illinois where my wife was born and raised have Amish and Mennonite members within the small farming community. As far as the local Amish there, the local elders determine what can be done locally. One night heading to a family dinner in country riding in my FIL's car, I noticed 3 or 4 school aged children heading for the barn with schoolbooks in their arms. I asked my FIL why the barn? He said that they are Amish so in the house all they have is kerosene lanterns for lighting. In the barn, electricity was allowed and thus they had electric lights in the barn by which it was easier to read.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Our log cabin was built by an Amish crew. They have power tools but use your electricity. My porch railing which is made from pine poles or posts were made at an older Amish gentleman's shop. He had gas engines on his power tools. They actually did all the electric and plumbing in our cabin too. Don't ever underestimate them. They were transported here by a guy who lived in the area they are in. They also have ways to work around the restrictions too. There is a nice building supply store nearby. I visited and was surprised at how well lit it was and computer and fax machine and phone onsite. Found out the work around was someone else owns who isn't Amish "owns" the premises and they simply operate it. Either way business was booming.

I still remember in 2010 when visiting Lancaster Pennsylvania the advertisement for "Mennonite Tours of Amish Country". The Mennonite have all the modern convenience's but nothing flashy. Chrome bumpers and hubcaps painted black. Clothing similar to the Amish.

Years ago, my father-in-law enjoyed telling this Amish story. He was a long-haul truck driver contracted to Menton Truck Lines based out of Shreveport at that time. He was sent somewhere into the Midwest to deliver a semi-load of lumber to an Amish woodworking shop. When he arrived, a few adult men and a couple teenage boys came out of the shop. He was thinking "Lord, it will take them the rest of the day to unload my truck by hand." He said one of the teenage boys went back in the building then came whizzing around from the back building on a forklift. A pleasant, unexpected surprise indeed!

Blog Entries
    (I am a little ashamed to admit) One of my favorite movie scenes Is from "The Witness" when Harrison Ford's character, who is in hiding with the Amish, sticks up for his protectors during a trip to town and an encounter with a bully.
    Best Regards, Maurice

One time, my buddy was out shopping and happened to go by a Victoria's Secret store. He did a doubletake and walked back by. Inside were 4-5 Amish females shopping. It made a great picture because it was rather unexpected.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I visited an Amish woodworking shop one time (in Pennsylvania). The guy was very nice and the shop looked like any other modern woodworking shop, just powered a little differently. His work was standard commercial furniture, similar to what you'd see in a regular furniture store. Nothing really special. But I think his prices were pretty good.

I also went to the Amish General Store. That was interesting - gas lighting, and all kind of things for doing tasks without electricity. For example there was a clothes iron that was like a Coleman lantern - you pumped it up and then lit it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

In my neck of the woods that's pretty common. You'll see guys who live in traditional Amish homesteads with a million dollar shop that runs on three phase power behind the barn. They are able to separate work from home life. They use a cell phone, but it's almost always off. Every couple hours they check voice mail and return any calls, then shut it off again. At night they turn off the switch and return to oil lamps and wood or propane stoves. The guys that work in the trailer factories are the same way. They ride their bike to work, spend all day using power tools and computers, then leave it all behind and head back to the farm at night. One of the hardest working bunch of folks I've ever encountered.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

For folks that aren't familiar with the rite of passage called Rumschpringa, it is a surprising process that I wouldn't expect for the young folks from this community.