Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

6 Feb 2023

Greetings,
    It has been a busy week but you may say....Hey Dennis, when are you never busy? Good question!!!!
    Started an antique repair job for a lady I used to work with. Some of the old furniture pieces are all but falling apart and people don't want to pay what it takes to get these things fixed up. Some, you can't even fix because someone else has tried several times to "fix" it.

Still working on other projects in the shop and I'm still enjoying the cooler temps.
    Now, it's time for me to get in the shop and do some sanding work.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I spent the weekend milling up some ash to make another traditional style workbench. I used traditional tools for the mortise and tenon joints on the 12+/4 stock... I have to say I am a bit sore today! I also "made" a tool that I should have made years ago. I used a 18mm deep well socket and milled it out to speed up the transition time between jointer to planer on my Mini-Max combo. Works like a dream chucked up in a cordless drill.

I also milled up some pear from a downed tree, to dry for later this year (sorry no pics of that.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert Tarr; 02-06-2023 at 7:32 PM.

Dennis, 'glad you're getting shop time.

Robert...looking great, both the project at hand and your tool wall. First time I've see a wider shot of that! I may need to make one of those socket doo-jobbies for my J/P, too, although it only takes a minute to swap anyway for me.

This past week included a lot of time in the shop making the shop dirty. Small projects, but projects nonetheless. Storage things. And I finally went through most of my hardware yesterday and today to take a break from other things since I now have the luxury of more bins and can be better organized. That included getting my "regular" router tooling into bins just like the CNC focused tooling and all in the same place. I'm really enjoying having a functional shop again and once I get a few more things out of it that are not needed (extra hose, excess/duplicate things to be sold/donated, etc) it will be even better. I'm actually out there before lunch a this point which is a good thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I made a book stand for a friend a few years ago, using Old Brown Glue. First time, and I wasn't careful enough about the temps. My fault, not the glue's!
    A lot of handling later, I saw the glue-up not to my (present) standards, so I brought it back to my "shop" and re-glued the majority of the piece, worked on the finish, etc.
    2 1/2 years of learning shows that "practice DOES make better".
    Once it's in place, I'm going to photograph it properly and put it on line.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Working on three tissue box covers. One for Mary's desk, one for mine, and one to serve as a receipt holder, to replace the cardboard shoe box I've been using for ages. Using quarter sawn sycamore for the first time and really like it. Needs sharp tools but otherwise works nicely. Supposedly prone to tearout, but hasn't been an issue so far. All the pieces are made and finger joints cut. I'll do some pre-finishing of the inside faces and then do the assembly and finishing. Next up are two sets of stacking in/out box trays for our desks. I resawed and cut all the pieces for those while I was working on the tissue box covers. And I'm still mulling over the best design for a rolling laundry cart.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Turned some eucalyptus... in a hazmat suit - well at least a lot of PPE. S'hanger smelled amazing for a couple of dayz (lol).