Thread: sander types

sander types

I'm in the maket for a sander to complement my oscillating spindle sander. I'm looking at disk, belt, and combo sanders. Could someone please explain to me what the pros and cons are of disk vs belt vs combo sanders?
    Wood working is like a vicious cycle. The more tools you buy the more you find to buy.

I had a 12” disk 6” x 48” belt sander for years, sold it and bought a high quality dedicated 2” x 48” belt sander. Rarely used the disk and the 6” belt was more than I needed. The combo machine took up valuable shop space.

A good disk sander can be a very precise tool, very handy for fitting segmented blocks for turning projects and the like but I’ve found a careful saw setup will result in no sanding required.

My use for the belt sanding is more on the rough side. With a course belt the material removal rate is impressive but with a finer belt it will also produce a nice finish.

I’ve found it’s easier to keep a belt clean than a disk.

My 2 cents.
    Of course, it all comes to what you want to do with it.
    Good luck in your choice Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Rasmussen View Post
    I had a 12” disk 6” x 48” belt sander for years, sold it and bought a high quality dedicated 2” x 48” belt sander. Rarely used the disk and the 6” belt was more than I needed. The combo machine took up valuable shop space.

A good disk sander can be a very precise tool, very handy for fitting segmented blocks for turning projects and the like but I’ve found a careful saw setup will result in no sanding required.

My use for the belt sanding is more on the rough side. With a course belt the material removal rate is impressive but with a finer belt it will also produce a nice finish.

I’ve found it’s easier to keep a belt clean than a disk.

My 2 cents.
    Of course, it all comes to what you want to do with it.
    Good luck in your choice Bill.
    Hey Jay - which belt sander did you buy?
    Wood working is like a vicious cycle. The more tools you buy the more you find to buy.

I find a disc sander useless unless it is big since you only use 1/4 of it's surface. I have a oscillating spindle sander and a 6x89 oscillating edge sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Winter View Post
    Hey Jay - which belt sander did you buy?
    Here's the one I bought Bill. Plan to make a larger table. Not a low-cost option but industrial grade quality.

baldor 2048-151D.jpg

I have an old cast iron Delta 12" disk / 4 x 52" horizontal belt sander. I also have an old Craftsman 6x48" horizontal/vertical belt only sander. I use both for woodworking but found I use them more for metal working.

I occasionally use sanding drums on my drill press but don't find I need them often enough to justify an oscillating spindle sander.

A wide belt or drum sander seems like it would be nice at times but I haven't found the money or shop space for one yet. There are also times I wished I had an edge sander but not very often.

To discuss the pros and cons of machinery, we would need to know what you intend to do on them. The only reason I've ever used a stationary belt sander is to bevel bent wood shaker boxes. So haven't touched my little combo machine in 25 years. I have a 20" disc sander and that works really well for metal working and for flattening the bottoms of large once turned bowls.

They all have different uses and it really depends what kind of work you do.

Richard uses his disc sander on relatively small pieces that need accurate shaping.

Jay's sander is an industrial 2x48 (Baldor) which is excellent, but it's more of a metal working sander or knife sharpening and not so much for woodworking due to the small material rest.

If you want a good combo disc / belt, there are only two I would consider. Powermatic 31A is the most versatile because the belt sander table can be tilted in 2 different axis (compound angles are possible) along with leaning the entire belt down horizontally. However, it's not the best dust collection. The Jet JSG-6 models can be modified to have the best dust collection, but the table will only tilt on one axis. These are expensive machines, but the Jet is somewhat lower cost.

The much cheaper Jet JSG-96 machines are basically garbage because the tables and tool rests will flex and you will not get an accurate sanding edge. The entire base is made from plastic as well. Just don't bother with this machine.

If you want a bargain basement combo sander, the Bucktool 4x36 are the best because they are direct drive. There are good things said about the Porter Cable version, but the dust collection on this is actually worse.

I went with the edge sander route myself because a lot of the work I do requires a perfect flat sanded edge on a long piece. You cannot do this successfully on a normal belt sander. However, the 6x48 upright belt sanders are good if you have weirdly shaped tall narrow pieces that need to be sanded standing up. The edge sanders will have a miter gauge, but that only supports about 1-1/2" to 2" height. That being said, I absolutely do NOT regret purchasing my edge sander at all.

See this thread for reading as well:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ot-Edge-Sander
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 02-05-2023 at 2:01 AM.

I found myself in a similar situation, I had no idea which I wanted and it's so use specific that nobody could really advise me. I ended up buying the Ryobi combo belt/oscillating sander just to see if I like it. Wow, for a cheap tool that I rarely use I find it is a must have.

On a rare case I need the oscillating spindle sander, I use it for about 15 minutes and I'm done. Without it it's a a 3-4 hour job. I ended up never needing the belt sander, though I did try it a few times. Yeah, it's nice, but for my projects it is more hassle than value.

So, it was the opposite of what I expected, the belt sander for me is meh but the oscillating spindle sander is really really nice. I haven't upgraded it because I only need it about once a month or less, but I would never get rid of it. My suggestion, blow a little money on some cheap versions to see if you would even use them, then upgrade to a good tool once you know what you want. Do keep in mind, the cheap tool is cheap for a reason, it's just to see if you want that type of tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rutman View Post
    I found myself in a similar situation, I had no idea which I wanted and it's so use specific that nobody could really advise me. I ended up buying the Ryobi combo belt/oscillating sander just to see if I like it. Wow, for a cheap tool that I rarely use I find it is a must have.

On a rare case I need the oscillating spindle sander, I use it for about 15 minutes and I'm done. Without it it's a a 3-4 hour job. I ended up never needing the belt sander, though I did try it a few times. Yeah, it's nice, but for my projects it is more hassle than value.

So, it was the opposite of what I expected, the belt sander for me is meh but the oscillating spindle sander is really really nice. I haven't upgraded it because I only need it about once a month or less, but I would never get rid of it. My suggestion, blow a little money on some cheap versions to see if you would even use them, then upgrade to a good tool once you know what you want. Do keep in mind, the cheap tool is cheap for a reason, it's just to see if you want that type of tool.
    Did you mean Ridgid instead of Ryobi?

That's the Rigid oscillating edge belt / spindle sander:

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/oscilla...spindle-sander

For an edge sander, I agree that it's so tiny that it's practically useless (though not completely useless). I haven't had a need for a spindle sander myself, but I can always sand the inside of a curve on my edge sander if the radius is large enough.

I have a 20" disc sander that compliments my oscillating spindle sander. It works well for doing things like flattening a bowl or leveling the bottom of a box. Mine is an attachment on my lathe so it takes up no room. I don't think I would use it much if it was a smaller one. Even a 12" would feel too small now. I also have a 26" drum sander that I also use quite a bit. I still would add an edge belt sander if I come across a deal. But it would need to be at least a 6x89 belt. But I have room so I try not to go small.

I do mean Ridgid, sorry.