Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Drawer Slide to Use?

What Drawer Slide to Use?

Hi Guys,
    I知 in the process of reviewing plans to build a Shaker Lingerie Chest and a Shaker Dresser. The plans call for wooden guides for the drawers, something that I would hate to do. Both will have inset drawers so I believe there is no way to mount full extension side mount slides. Is it possible to do a undermount? If so, what model slide would you suggest? I致e installed these with a overlay drawer but never with a inset. I知 sure I知 over thinking this. I知 concerned about getting the top, bottom and sides even.

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Congiusti; 02-05-2023 at 8:44 PM.

I always use Blum but thats because its what I've always used. See this thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-Inset-Drawers

You could also just build your mounts/slides out of wood.

Blum and Grass both make good undermounts. I use the Grass Dynapro 3D slides with the optional tilt adapter. They allow you to adjust in/out, left/right, up/down, and tilt angle, which is very handy when doing inset drawers where the position is crucial. Depending on your carcass construction, you may need to build out the sides to have someplace to mount the slides. Great videos on the Grass site.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

You certainly can use "regular" full extension slides with inset doors, but to keep the look for a project like this, undermounts would be a good choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you have the budget, go undermount. I also use blum, but thats just because i have their jigs and its what ive used before. If you dont have the budget, do wooden runners with wax. Typical drawer slides look like poo on the finished project. And maybe its just me, but i find they are a little more finicky to line up and operate. The undermounts have a smidgen of play built into the mounting system that aligns both slides parallel to one another. They are very smooth, and still great after 10ish years of daily use in my kitchen.

My bedroom furniture is all wooden drawer slides, and they are also very smooth. I wax them once a year.

Blum undermount is the best choice, but they're pricey and sometimes hard to procure. Depending on the piece and how much weight it requires, you can use side-mount slides as undermount. I've done it a few times and it works great. I do buy the heavy duty, full-extension. Woodcraft or Rockler have them. They are about 1/2 to 1/3rd the cost of Blum and a lot easier to install IMHO.

As a period piece, wooden drawer slides can complement better. Just make sure to use smoother hard wood. Oak slides are a bit more grainy and need more wax, while hard maple needs very little treatment after the first waxing. If the piece will be used daily, like a dresser, I would for sure use Blum.

I like and use Blum tandems all the time.

But for this project I use Hettich Quadros instead.

I have used grass 3d and 4d on inset drawers to success. Brian

Ditto on the Grass undermounts. Very easy to setup and install and they just work.

I may have to try those. Where do you folks usually buy them?

I checked out the website and it looks like you can make all 4 adjustments. The plans call for the drawers to be 16 7/8 wide by 19 deep by 6 1/8 high. I plan to do half blind dovetails using 1/4 ply for the bottom 1/4" up. What are the demensions of the slides. I would think I need to raise that to at least 1/2". Fronts will be 3/4" curly maple and the side and back 1/2" maple.

Do you have some pic's to share?

Thanks

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I may have to try those. Where do you folks usually buy them?
    I use woodworkers express. Com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Congiusti View Post
    I checked out the website and it looks like you can make all 4 adjustments. The plans call for the drawers to be 16 7/8 wide by 19 deep by 6 1/8 high. I plan to do half blind dovetails using 1/4 ply for the bottom 1/4" up. What are the demensions of the slides. I would think I need to raise that to at least 1/2". Fronts will be 3/4" curly maple and the side and back 1/2" maple.

Thanks

Mike
    Pick/obtain the slides before you build the drawers so you have the necessary dimensions to fit the undermounts, um...under...the drawer bottom as well as understand any interior mounting requirements in the case. Don't guess on this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Congiusti View Post

Thanks

Mike
    What Jim said. I buy my guides based on the length of drawer I want. Then I make the case, front etc and size the drawer boxes based on the actual opening size I come up with in case I am a little small or large than my original idea.

https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/se...=search&page=1
    Brian

I was just looking at undermounts during International Builders Show (IBS) last week. Of what I saw, Grass Dynapro 3D (with 4D option) was the the best. The biggest difference was its smoothness when pulling out the drawer through the soft-close bit - smooth, no bump. Blum didn't exhibit, so I couldn't compare.