Thread: Any experience wil SCM Nova F410 or Powermatic PJ1696?

Any experience wil SCM Nova F410 or Powermatic PJ1696?

I'm interested in buying one of these machines used and am looking for any positive or negative experiences. Thanks.

No experience, but spec analysis:

Powermatic is going to be about $1k cheaper when you account for the helical cutting head (unless you want Tersa cutting knives). Amazon and BIS supposedly ship this free at $11,299 + tax. I wonder how they are going to ship this "free" when freight companies won't deal with unloading an 8 foot long 1400 lbs. pallet onto your curb. This is a rigging company transport only.

SCM is a much heavier machine (1851lbs compared to 1280lbs for the Powermatic). May feel bit more solid? SCM fence is higher (7-1/2" compared to Powermatic 5-1/4"). Likely higher shipping costs on this. Expect to pay $1200-3000 for a rigging company transport (depending on distance and other).

I can only comment on the F410 Nova. Solid machine, long history in the industry, very simple in design. Depending on how the original dealer ordered it, could have either a Standard or Tersa (more desireable) cutterhead. Will be three-phase only. Obviously, much of the “value” will depend on how the machine was maintained by the original owner. Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have no ideas what those machines are. Do they do the same job? Some kind of woodshop tool maybe?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have no ideas what those machines are. Do they do the same job? Some kind of woodshop tool maybe?
    Bill D
    Jointers. Big ones. "Yuge", even. The SCM is 410mm which is about 16" wide.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jointers. Big ones. "Yuge", even. The SCM is 410mm which is about 16" wide.
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking shapers with the mention of cutter heads and knives.
    Bill D

7. My question would be does the Nova have the 3 phase 8 HP motor in it or does it have a 1 phase motor? (likely a 4.8 HP motor like I optioned in my FS 41 ES if that is available on that machine). Not having to go 3 phase is nice if you are not already setup for it or don't want to use a converter. I would say that the weight difference of the machines may give you an indication of some less than ideal design choices / cost reductions. While I have not use that machine, I have been very happy with SCM.

The Powermatic is 7.5 Hp; the SCM is 8Hp. Both are 3-phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stelts View Post
    ….the SCM is 8Hp...
    Not necessarily… That is correct for recent machines but the F410 has been around forever, in one incarnation or another, and there were a whole range of motor sizes used over its history.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

If I was going to buy a brand new big honkin' stand alone jointer, the Nova would be one of my top contenders. Love the sleek Euro lines and design.

It's not much more money than a Powermatic.

https://www.wsimachinery.com/collect...cludes-freight

I was looking at a bankruptcy sale in NJ. Prices are high enough 2 weeks before the sale (and I’d need $2k for phase converter) that gave up. The used machines were heavily used. I watched two years for a used 14”+ jointer and reached the end.

Instead, I decided to go with a new Felder AD941 (nominal cost for a spare planer). Also, my wife recommended I quit looking and accelerate her dream house renovation. Thank goodness she’s been pleased thus far.

Oh crud, color me an idiot because I did not notice that you were looking at "used" machines, lol. Great wife for being patient and accepting the purchase of these extremely expensive machines, heh. The AD9741 is what I'm targeting as well, but the purchase is going to have to wait at least a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stelts View Post
    nd.

Instead, I decided to go with a new Felder AD941 (nominal cost for a spare planer). Also, my wife recommended I quit looking and accelerate her dream house renovation. Thank goodness she’s been pleased thus far.
    That's a really nice machine, Mike! And always do what the "boss" says, even if it involves, um...spending money on tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...