Thread: Bandsaw advice

Bandsaw advice

Awhile back I posted about maybe selling a bandsaw. Replacing it with a LAGUNA 18”. Bought the LAGUNA, didn’t sell the Powermatic or delta. ( everyone needs 3 bandsaws). I’ve decided I will sell the Powermatic ( it’s a model 81-20”). Just takes up valuable space. However I will replace it with another 20” + - saw. Need recommendations on jet 20” or another LAGUNA 18. Or possibly a grizzly. I own exactly 0 grizzly products, but lots of people do. My model 81 is used primarily for bowl blanks. When I turn my lathe on every 4/5 yrs.

ps. Should probably sell the Powermatic before I buy another saw. As I now have 2 Powermatic lathes, cause I stink at selling stuff

thx Mike

Why is it you need 3 saws? Most people get by with one or two. What is it that makes three necessary? The answer to that might help folks give a specific recommendation.

John

Regarding 3 bandsaws. The LAGUNA is used exclusively for resawing. I keep a 1/4” or 3/16” blade in the 15” delta. The model 81 mostly for bowl blanks, maybe a rough cut. It’s a pain to change blades in the 81 because of the dust collection in retro fitted. Just don’t like changing blades for maybe 1 or 2 cuts

Did you look at Harvey? Last time I was shopping for a bandsaw, I rather liked their saws. Do not know how large they go.

Harvey looks to have a very well engineered bandsaw, but it's a medium sized at 15". Mike's looking for an 18-20" or so.

I have a 14" Jet, which usually runs a 3/16“ blade for curved cuts. I have a 21" Grizzly 5hp for resawing or straight line rips. I don't think I would ever use a 3rd one, as there is enough room between the two for an odd cut transition every few months. The limited floor space is too valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by mike johnston View Post
    Regarding 3 bandsaws. The LAGUNA is used exclusively for resawing. I keep a 1/4” or 3/16” blade in the 15” delta. The model 81 mostly for bowl blanks, maybe a rough cut. It’s a pain to change blades in the 81 because of the dust collection in retro fitted. Just don’t like changing blades for maybe 1 or 2 cuts
    You aren't going to save much space trading one saw for another, but you can't go wrong with MiniMax, or probably Felder, in the 20" range. If you like used machines, Agazzani would be a great choice. I have a 17" Grizzly G0636X that I can attest is a terrific saw for resawing and slicing veneer, but you already have a saw for that.

John

Why do you need a dedicated saw for cutting turning blanks if you only turn on the lathe every 5 years ?
    You do know you can change the blades on those things.

I can't relate to the problem you're having

The FB510 is the most popular saw in the Felder range.

It’s a good balance between cost and performance…….Rod

I have a Laguna 14BX, and I just saw a hammer N4400 and if I was in the market for a new saw, that would be my go-to. Felder is the bigger brother and I suspect the same quality of the Felder and while I have not seen the Laguna LT series in person, I believe they are at the same quality level. Dave's suggestion is spot on for an amazing saw but budget wise, it's not in the 18BX price range.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!