Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sliding Table Saw Hold-downs / Clamps

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Adapting to a specific slot size isn't that hard...I made sticks of material out of oak that precisely fit the tee slot in my SCM/Minimax wagon so I could use hold-downs and fixtures attached to the wagon. Someone more skilled with metal than me could do the same with aluminum or steel.
    I agree with this, but I would prefer metal for clamps. The upward pressure on whatever is holding the clamp and the need to move it around easily make metal the better choice for clamping.

However, I am in the process of making another Fritz und Franz jig, this time with aluminum runners for the slot. My wagon's slot was close enough to 5/8" that I ordered square aluminum bar in that size and sanded it down to a perfect fit. A couple of tapped holes will attach the runners to the jig. Not hard at all and no expansion or contraction to mess with the fit.

Just ordered one from Amazon. Unfortunately, out of the four "hold down bolts" provided, the one that I needed has bad threads. Called Milescraft. No live body, just voicemail. The website offers the opportunity to contact them by email with a promise of a response within 48 hours. I guess I could just return it to Amazon and order another one, but that seems like such a waste. All I need is one bolt. If the company doesn't respond by tomorrow, I will go the Amazon return/re-order route. Buyer be ware.

These look great and wow, great price. Plus they have miter slot options. I have 6 of the Kreg automaxx clamps (4 3" and 2 6") and they are in my main workflow. I don't know what I'd do without them. I also have a 6 foot piece of 1545 aluminum extrusion on the front of my bench where I can use these to clamp the workpiece vertically against the extrusion or horizontally allowing the piece to project off my bench a little ways. Using these for domino, routing, edge-banding or a 3rd or 4th hand is great.

Sam Blasco shows how clamps can move when they are locked down on one of his videos. I solved that problem by never having seen the need for clamps apart from as F&F jig which is a great clamp. My view may change if I was working on a panel saw and not a short stroke slider as some here may be doing or I was using fixed jigs which I haven't done either so horses for courses.
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 02-08-2023 at 5:34 PM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

https://mac-campshure.squarespace.com

Expensive, but buyer's remorse is zero, and many would consider the safety aspect associated with their use to be justification for having these. You can read a lot of rave reviews on the Felder Owner's Group Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sack View Post
    Just ordered one from Amazon. Unfortunately, out of the four "hold down bolts" provided, the one that I needed has bad threads. Called Milescraft. No live body, just voicemail. The website offers the opportunity to contact them by email with a promise of a response within 48 hours. I guess I could just return it to Amazon and order another one, but that seems like such a waste. All I need is one bolt. If the company doesn't respond by tomorrow, I will go the Amazon return/re-order route. Buyer be ware.
    I just opened one that I had purchased in January and had the same problem. I contacted MilesCraft yesterday evening through their web site and this morning I got an email with an order confirmation for the defective parts - for free, of course. Can't ask for faster or better service than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Sam Blasco shows how clamps can move when they are locked down on one of his videos. I solved that problem by never having seen the need for clamps apart from as F&F jig which is a great clamp. My view may change if I was working on a panel saw and not a short stroke slider as some here may be doing or I was using fixed jigs which I haven't done either so horses for courses.
    I know this is like 6 months old but any chance you have a link to this?

Edit: I think I found it. This one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuyZwY0LHbE
    Last edited by Bert McMahan; 08-15-2023 at 5:07 PM.