Thread: Cross Cut Blade Recommendation

Cross Cut Blade Recommendation

Hi Guys,

I need some recommendations for a good cross cut blade for my 10” tablesaw. I have a Forest combo and a Freud rip blade that serve their purpose but a dedicated cross cut would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

I like the Freud LU80R010 ultimate plywood and melamine blade. It does a great job crosscutting solid wood and is great for sheet goods as well. Bonus, it is the same full kerf as the freud rip blade I use and the freud combo blade I use for MDF, so the same zero clearance insert works for all of them.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    I have a 60 and an 80 tooth blade. The 60 is better for burn-prone woods like cherry, maple and sappy walnut. The 80 is almost a luxury but I am glad to have it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

4. I have an 80tooth HiATB CMT chrome blade 10", cuts like butter.

Blog Entries
    I highly recommend the Freud LU73M10 or LU82M10 for crosscuts. I have both of these blades and they give exceptionally smooth crosscuts in hardwood.
    lu73m010.jpgFreud LU82M-10.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-03-2023 at 8:48 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Congiusti View Post
    Hi Guys,

I need some recommendations for a good cross cut blade for my 10” tablesaw. I have a Forest combo and a Freud rip blade that serve their purpose but a dedicated cross cut would be great.

Mike
    What are you cross-cutting mostly ?

I've never found the need for a dedicated cross-cut blade given just how well a properly sharpened Forrest WW-II cross-cuts...I'm talking "shiny" end grain. Now if I needed a dedicated blade for that, I'd probably choose the Forrest because that's what I like and with my slider, I prefer to have identical kerf widths on my blades, but any of the name brand "better" and top level blades are likely worthy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Popular Tools LM1080 HiATB. Amazing cut quality. Popular Tools is one of the largest makers of saw blades, but no one seems to have heard of them.

The Freud Ultimate Cutoff Blade LU85R010 is really good for sheet goods and Melamine, anything up to 1-1/2".

John

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I like the Freud LU80R010 ultimate plywood and melamine blade. It does a great job crosscutting solid wood and is great for sheet goods as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Congiusti View Post
    have a Forest combo and a Freud rip blade that serve their purpose but a dedicated cross cut would be great.
    I too have a Forrest WWII combo blade, which is complemented by both the Freud Industrial rip and the Freud Industrial Ultimate Plywood & Melamine blades. They cover all the bases except none have a FTG. Do not like the WWII for veneer plywoods but it works fine for crosscutting hardwoods.
    Last edited by Marc Fenneuff; 02-03-2023 at 11:07 AM.

I have a ridge ts2000 in my saw most times and it does a superlative job on crosscut. I also have a forest ply-veneer blade but don't use it so often as I don't really care for thin kerf blades. Others are the Freud glue line rip and a full kerf low tooth count rip (another ridge and a delta for the questionable lumber). Other than that, there's a couple blades in the drawer but just taking space.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Popular Tools LM1080 HiATB. Amazing cut quality. Popular Tools is one of the largest makers of saw blades, but no one seems to have heard of them.

The Freud Ultimate Cutoff Blade LU85R010 is really good for sheet goods and Melamine, anything up to 1-1/2".

John
    When i first heard of Popular Tools, the name sounded like a gimmick. But later i called Carbide Processors with some questions on 8" blades, and Tom highly recommended a Popular Tools blade. That was enough for me to give it a try--very worth the investment. When it's time to replace my 10" cutters, it will likely be with Popular.

The Freud Fusion combo blade has always been excellent (and a good value) for me on both crosscuts and rips...

Currently I'm working with curly maple, cherry and african teak. My WWII does OK and is sharp, but I'm making several dressers and I need perfect cuts.

I like my Freud Premier Fusion which gives great cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've never found the need for a dedicated cross-cut blade given just how well a properly sharpened Forrest WW-II cross-cuts...I'm talking "shiny" end grain. Now if I needed a dedicated blade for that, I'd probably choose the Forrest because that's what I like and with my slider, I prefer to have identical kerf widths on my blades, but any of the name brand "better" and top level blades are likely worthy.
    +1. I agree with Jim