Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Good Forsner Bit Set

Learn how to sharpen your Forstner bits. They're just steel, like turning chisels. They get dull, like turning chisels. They need sharpening.

+1 or 2 for Fisch, made in Austria. Also use their square mortising bits, not cheap but really cut and hold an edge. They make high quality stuff. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Infinity Tools has FAMAG sets, but some are out of stock. See here.

Mike

[Taylor Tools has a 7 piece set at a decent price.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-02-2023 at 11:58 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Famag here ...Metric, Imperial, separate (single) purchase or in different size sets

I did not know about Famag at the time I bought my first set of Forstner bits (the Fisch 16 bit set).
    If I had I probably would have sprung for the Famags instead.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 02-03-2023 at 1:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Learn how to sharpen your Forstner bits. They're just steel, like turning chisels. They get dull, like turning chisels. They need sharpening.
    Is there a youtube video (or similar) that shows how to do this (meaning, the way you do it?)
    I've seen watched/read probably a dozen " instructions" on how to do it...use a dremel, do it by hand, do this, do that, use this, use that. I don't gain much knowledge, but I do get confused.
    Any help/advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 02-03-2023 at 4:46 AM.

I have a large set from Grizzly. Definitely not the best, but cut good when new and have been easy to re-sharpen. I find them good enough, leaving clean hole edges, walls, and bottoms. It they start to clog, it's time to re-sharpen. I'm sure the Fisch and Famag's are super nice. They'd better be for the cost. But I have other quality tools on my want-list where I'd rather put my money before Forstners.

I also have a set of Roman carbide for between 16ths sizes. They cut quickly and don't clogged badly. However, they do not leave a smooth vertical wall. I wouldn't use them if the walls were visible in the end product. But the rough surface probably gives better glue holding power. They also look like the cutters could break off pretty easy. OK for the rare occasion when I need an odd 16th inch size.

Maybe if I ever get to where I have purchased all the high end tools I want, I'll spring for a some Fisch.

Tom do you mean a set of carbide-tooth hole saws like this?
    Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 7.02.18 AM.jpg
    My metalworker buddy bought this set and it looks interesting for some situations. Obviously it won't leave a flat bottom. I just drilled a lot of 1" holes and turns out the Forstner bit is 0.008 under an inch, which created a problem. It struck me I could come back and clean up the walls with these carbide bits, pilot bit removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    It's pretty much the same as sharping auger bits. Easy. I just use a diamond file instead of a metal one. Using something like a Dremel? Man, that'd just be a fast way for me to mess a bit up.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I bought the Freud 16 piece set about a year ago. Sure wish I would have got it MANY years ago. These bits cut a perfect hole. I bought mine on Amazon. I just put them in my 'shopping list', and waited for them to go on sale. I think I paid just shy of 200 for the set. So if you are not in a hurry, I suggest you do the same. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In a discussion on a Timber Framing forum, it was correctly pointed out that some of these bits called Forstner bits are really multi-spur bits. Not that it matters past the name since they cut the same type of holes.

Tamar - from 3X3 Custom on Youtube has mentioned a few times how much she likes the single flute counter sink from Viking Norseman - https://taytools.com/products/viking...dium=affiliate

I tend to take her word for things. She's a pretty straight shooter.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Tamar - from 3X3 Custom on Youtube has mentioned a few times how much she likes the single flute counter sink from Viking Norseman - https://taytools.com/products/viking...dium=affiliate

I tend to take her word for things. She's a pretty straight shooter.
    I've looked at those single flute countersinks but always wondered if they would work well in a hand held drill (whether they would do a symmetrical countersink handheld). Anyone have any experience?

I'm sure they would work well in a drill press.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Can someone recommend a Youtube demo that clearly shows correct sharpening technique? I've tried using a diamond paddle on what look to be the obvious surfaces but it has not improved my cheap drill's performance.

I have a set of Colt drills that I use with my lathe because of the clever skinny extensions and have been acquiring Famag drills as needed, none of them seem to want sharpening yet.

I bought a set of Fisch Wavecutter bits. The 16 piece set is currently 40% off at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KIUFGS...t_details&th=1