Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Good Forsner Bit Set

Need Good Forsner Bit Set

I've got a big set of Forsner bits that really don't cut very well and every time I use them I think, I should get a set that cuts better. Any affordable suggestions? Also, how about some suggestions for a good counter sink bit? Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    I have been buying Freud as needed size wise. They are pretty decent. I also bought a Ryobi set at HD because I chewed a Freud up on an embedded nail (yay) and needed something in a hurry. The Ryobi's sucked.

My small set is from Lee Valley and they cut well.

Second on the Freud, specifically I've been getting the Precision Shear. You can get the starter set for ~$75. I've also bought some Roman Carbide in less-commomly used (metric) sizes, and I've liked them. Can't speak to the durability though.

For countersinks I think the Amana sets with the depth stop are great (though not necessarily cheap).

https://www.amanatool.com/products/b...sink-sets.html

I've got a cheap Irwin set for general use and for anything critical, I use FAMAG Forstner bits. They are insanely good, but also not cheap.

https://kjpselecthardwoods.com/produ...39370225123397

These are my favorite countersink bits

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 02-02-2023 at 12:31 PM.

I have 4 sets of Forstner bits, and the Fisch are by far the best I've used. They cut hard maple like butter. I purchased after seeing and meeting the Fisch guys at a show. I'm sure the Freud are fine but I haven't used them. The quality of the bit really makes a huge difference. I have 4 sets because I stepped up in quality with each set, if I were the OP, I'd skip the interim step, get a high quality set, and be done.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...set-of-16.aspx

Blog Entries
    Don't know who makes them but I have run Lee Valley's HSS Forstners for years with good results.

Forstner Index (4).JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Fisch Wavecutter (16 piece Imperial + additional sizes in 16ths), plus a handful of metric
    Freud (imperial about a half dozen)
    Colt, a dozen or so both imperial and metric (bought pretty cheaply on closeout)
    The all cut cleanly in hardwoods that I typically use (maple, cherry, walnut, oak)

Edit: Bought one Irwin/Marples (1/2") it wobbled..shaft wasn't straight but it cut OK.
    Still, no I-M for me after that because of the wobble.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 02-02-2023 at 2:10 PM.

Fisch Wavecutter and Lee Valley HSS. Buy as needed instead of a set.

About 15 years ago I bought a Freud 7-Piece Precision Shear Serrated Edge set from a Rockler affiliate. They came in a nice little wooden box. I've supplemented it will other sizes purchased individually. They get used a fair but and are still razor sharp.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

FAMAG makes the best Forstner bits in my experience. I have a set of Freud and when one gets dull, instead of sharpening it, I purchase a FAMAG. They are expensive so getting a whole set would be expensive.

You'll probably find that you use certain sizes more than others so you can buy FAMAG for just those bits.

Mike

[In addition to the Freud set, I have a set of very large Forstners (cheap, made in China), a set of 1/16" in between sizes, and a set of Metric Forstners.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-02-2023 at 2:29 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

FAMAG Bormax have out performed every other brand I've tried. As Mike said they are expensive, but worth it.

I have had very good results with Wood Owl drill bits. Good forstner bits, and their ultra smooth auger bits are they best I have used in timber framing applications.

I see that Amazon has the best price for a 16-bit set, however it's in metric. Does Amazon have an Imperial set?