Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polycrylic Question

Here's a related question. Can I thin the oil modified Polyurethane? If I can, what would I use? Water seems too simple.

Waterborne finishes are reduced using...water. Water is the carrier, not the solvent. But that's also why you can only thin by a small percentage with waterborne finishes, both clears and paint. 5-10% is usually the recommended max. Using Extender will also reduce viscosity a bit and is a good alternative to water for smaller finish portions where one also needs to retard the dry time. But for these oil modified products, they dry a little slower than the "regular" waterbornes so that might not be necessary.

BTW, there are colored paint products that are made in a similar way...BM Advance is a good example. It's an emulsified alkyd paint product waterborne that when cured has a more enamel paint like property for durability.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-07-2023 at 2:10 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Here's a related question. Can I thin the oil modified Polyurethane? If I can, what would I use? Water seems too simple.

It's that simple. Water. It's oil modified, but it's still a waterborne, no different than TC's EM-2000 or GF's EnduroVar. Not sure about EM-2000, but the other two are pretty low viscosity; not sure why there would be a need to thin them.

John

I did not find the EM2000 to have any meaningful difference in viscosity from the other Target products.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...