Thread: Broken

Broken

This piece of thin turned Maple was returned to me from the Gallery I used to use. It was damaged and I almost tossed it out. To me it symbolizes the ability to return from a really bad place and morph into something beautiful.
    Painting was done by blowing acrylic with an air brush and if you are interested I have a short Youtube video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B9R0V8Jpjc&t=1s
    IMG_7868.jpgIMG_7826.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Nice save, Peter. Maybe even an improvement over the original.

Absolutely looks better than original to my eye.

Great save. I agree that it is an improvement over the original. Design opportunities appear to be part of woodturning.

Great idea!!!!! I love how it turned out ... makes me want to break something and try it!!

Peter, that’s really cool! Did the surface of the vase have a finish on it, to help the paint ‘flow’ or move along? If so, what was it? Thanks.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Thanks Walter, yes it needs to be slippery but not too slippery. Maybe that's not quite right it really depends on the thickness or density of the paint. You may have noticed in my video I was adding water and testing the red to see if it would slip. If it is too slippery the paint almost vanishes and if not slippery enough it sort of blothes. The neat thing is if you have a wet rag handy and you have a good finish you can wipe off any you don't like. I usually do this over spray on Lacquer which might or might not be on top of paint. I did a seasonal series which sold before I could finish it and painted the item white before applying the paint. I have attache a photo of what that looked like. Please share any you do with us. It looks like a managed to upload a couple of other photos? Sorry about that I tried to remove them without success.

IMG_0643.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Pete, you produce beautiful art. As all have said, I also like it better than the original.

Thank you John I too like it better than the original. I have done a couple of these and they seem to be appreciated every time! The others I have done were not a result of a break like this one.
    Pete