Thread: Jet 1640 question

Jet 1640 question

I recently bought a Jet 1640 lathe. Does anyone know if the point is removable in the tail stock center cup so just the cup can be used?

Thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul vechart View Post
    I recently bought a Jet 1640 lathe. Does anyone know if the point is removable in the tail stock center cup so just the cup can be used?
    Thanks,
    Paul
    Don’t have that model but I have other Jet lathes - if your live center is the Oneway live center clone supplied with others, the point is easily removable. There should by a thin knockout rod with the center.

BTW, it has a #1 morse taper so you can turn custom centers from wood for special applications.

JKJ

JKJ

In case there is interest, I remembered I took photos of the custom wood center feature of the Oneway (and clones) you can use after knocking out the center point.

live_center_MT0_C_IMG_7913.jpg

Turning a center to fit the #1MT.
    live_center_MT0_B_IMG_7912.jpg
    When the taper fits snugly, I part off the wood, mount it firmly in the taper, and mount the live center in the headstock. A short piece of soft iron or copper wire through the hole provided will lock the center so it can act as a drive center for shaping the wood as desired.

With this center you can also drill a hole and tap a block of wood to make other custom centers.
    live_center_threaded_IMG_7917.jpg
    (Threads not needed for the golf ball. The golf ball was not my idea, but I forgot who passed it to me!)
    Also, Rubber Chucky makes attachments to fit that thread thread.

(Oh, Paul, if the 1640 doesn't have a similar live center, then sorry, nevermind!)

JKJ

Thanks John… I have the Oneway clone style. I tried to knock it out but it doesn’t seem to want to move. I wonder if the design has changed.

Thanks John… I have the Oneway clone style. I tried to knock it out but it doesn’t seem to want to move. I wonder if the design has changed.
    Was there documentation for the love center? It should have instructions. I remember one point needed a pretty firm tap. (The Oneway instructions: https://oneway.ca/pdf/Part%202064%20...Dec%202010.pdf)

I have five of those, three older clones (from Jet and PM) and two Oneways. They all work the same. If they changed the design to prevent removing the point to save a dollar shame on them. (Perhaps someone with a 1640 can check theirs.) If the point is non removable maybe save it for a spare and get a real Oneway.

All that said I have several live centers that I like far more than the Oneway for the types of turning I perfer. The Nova has far more flexibility than any other I’ve tried, incredible in fact!

Also I keep two sizes of the Sorby Steb revolving center, 1/2” and 1”. These are what I use the most for spindle turning, including thin spindles. They have a circle of “teeth” instead of the cup. They also have a game changer - spring loaded center points. The teeth and the spring point give several distinct advantages I’d hate to be without for the things I turn the most. (For the same reasons I prefer the Steb drive centers over the typical spur drive centers although I don’t use them as often.)

(Oh, update: I just looked at pages 12 and 13 of the 1640 manual online and the pictures show two different live centers, one short and one the size of the Oneway. Does the lathe come with both

JKJ

I guess I needed to hit it a little harder and then it popped out! It did come with a smaller live center as well and that point came out too with the knock out bar. The oneway clone has a smaller bore and the large knock out bar does not fit, however the thin knock out bar fits but I was afraid it would bend. BTW I do have the Nova live center you have and I also use that one too.
    John thanks for all the good information you shared...it is much appreciated.

I guess I needed to hit it a little harder and then it popped out! It did come with a smaller live center as well and that point came out too with the knock out bar. The oneway clone has a smaller bore and the large knock out bar does not fit, however the thin knock out bar fits but I was afraid it would bend. BTW I do have the Nova live center you have and I also use that one too.
    John thanks for all the good information you shared...it is much appreciated.
    You’re welcome, happy turning!

If you are interested I do have a photo of a couple of the attachments I’ve made for the Nova live center (posted on another thread). I love that they use the #2MT since I’m used to turning those as holding methods to drive thin spindles.

JKJ