Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My favorite shop product is…

My favorite shop product is…

Timbermate. Every time I use it I think about how it is a wonderful product. It can be rehydrated, easy to apply, drys fast, sands great.

One day I hope to never need Timbermate but until then it will be the favorite.

Anyone else have an odd favorite shop product or tool.

I can't live without a can of Kano Kroil in my shop. No other penetrating oil has ever come close to working itself into the crevices between rusty parts like Kroil.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    I can't live without a can of Kano Kroil in my shop. No other penetrating oil has ever come close to working itself into the crevices between rusty parts like Kroil.
    Oh, Kroil is a good one, great stuff. I'd say Titebond 1 glue. I reach for it more than any other glue.

Masking tape.
    So many ways it helps me. Aligning and seaming veneers, clamping, even to gang up pieces for end-milling at the shapers - the end is listless.
    I have a roll hanging on or near almost every machine.
    Just got done using some, and I'll bet I use some more before the day is over...

Oh yeah, it's pretty good for use in the finishing room to cover dados/rabbets to avoid sealing in unwanted, targeted areas, in a masking-like fashion.

Best, most versatile bang for the buck for an item that gets almost daily use in the shop.

jeff

Blog Entries
    Double sided tape. I use it quite often for making duplicate parts, holding parts to jigs, holding small parts for routing edges, and making temporary jigs.

I also use a lot of painters tape for all the reasons Jeff mentioned and then some. I've used it on inside corners of mitered corner boxes to make glue squeeze out easier to remove.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Paper towels and mechanical pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ost View Post
    Paper towels and mechanical pencils
    I prefer old fashioned wood pencils which reminds me of one of the best bang for buck shop machines I have ever purchased. An old fashioned Boston office model plug in electric pencil sharpener from a thrift store for $5... it actually has a metal case around it!

If I buy mechanical pencils for the shop they always end up in my daughters back pack. It is easier to just buy a 100 pack of Ticonderogas.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 02-02-2023 at 9:50 PM.

3M Stikit sanding blocks. I have several in different grits. I use them on almost every project. Best hand sander I have ever used.
    I love Timbermate too, except for the smell..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Acid brushes and ditto Micheal with the pencil sharpener.

My block, #3 and bronze #4 planes. I find myself always reaching for one of those.

I've got three old Stanley Block Planes. Two 9 1/2 with adjustable throats, one tuned for less than paper-thin cutting (with a polish, unpainted lever cap), the other for maybe .01" shavings (with a fully japaned lever cap). One low angle No. 60 (oddly, painted deep maroon). They are in the front of the top right drawer of my bench. The differences in livery make them instantly recognizable for purpose. I keep them fettled, sharp and ready for action. Rarely do two hours go by in the shop that I don't reach for one of the three.

So those are tools, and maybe you meant consumable products? In that case it's blue painters tape. I use it for masking, of course, both for finishes and glue, but also to set chisel lines, to label pieces, as a clamp for small pieces and shop-sawn veneer, and not infrequently to hold pieces together during dry fits.

TimberMate for sure. I have maybe 5 colors and it's so easy to custom mix exactly what you're looking for. And as you said, when it starts to get a little dry, just a bit of warm water (and a lot of stirring) and you're back in business.

Next, my dial caliper along with set-up blocks. I can't believe how often I use them.

Also have to include my wood stove.

I'm with you, Dave...my digital caliper gets a "yuge" amount of use in my shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ditto on the double sided tape and digital calipers (obviously we have a toss-up situation here )

Yes to digital calipers. Mine seem to walk away, so I have several, somewhere.

The not so glamorous tool I find myself using daily on every project is a file.
    < insert spurious quote here >