Thread: Dyslexia

Dyslexia

Anyone out there with Dyslexia? How do you deal with it in WW?

I don’t have dyslexia but mainly use the numbers and tick marks of a tape measure or rule for laying out the beginning of a project. The rest is relative measuring where I am just marking between two points. If measuring is difficult I wonder if there are blank tape measures that can be marked on and cleaned. Also small 1/4” to 3/8” square story sticks may help. The could be batched out of scrap, marked up and thrown out.

Fastcap makes a tape measure with on edge blank so it can be marked on. They also make a flat version (not curled to stiffen the blade) so it makes it easier to align the edge of the tape to a reference point or mark. Here’s a link to the standard version

https://www.fastcap.com/product/proc...easure?cat=308

Sam

I don't have trouble reading tapes. As an example I tend to do things backwards. As an example I assembled a crosscut sled backwards. It wasn't until I was halfway through that I saw something was wrong. Reading all but the simplest of plans is beyond me. If each step is shown individually I do OK. I can draw up my own plans and do well. my wife of 56 years bails me out.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-02-2023 at 9:53 AM. Reason: Defaulted text so it's readable on all screen sizes

I've got it, clinically diagnosed at 12. I honestly don't have any good suggestions for you. I try to double check things, but it's like a blind spot, and it's just something I cope with. So one of the things I've gotten better at is fixing mistakes, because I'm going to make them.
    OTOH, nothing fixes things that have been cut too short. I made three sets of legs for my Roubo workbench because I kept messing up the lengths. Having some plans can be helpful, since you can double check that way.

I don't have it but, my niece does, so I can sympathize with the struggle at times. What has helped me from making less mistakes (let's face it, mistakes happen) in the workshop is relative measurements, using a story stick or jig for anything that needs repeating and going slow.

One of the good things I have is a small dry erase board, 10”x10”. I write down measurement or next step or small picture. It remains right there in view for me to refer to. I have not been formally diagnosed but have always missed a measurement or a step without having right in front of me. Before dry erase I used yellow pads, than post it notes, now dry erase is great.
    Jim

I too use dry erase boards. I have several and for more complex operations mark each step on a different white board, then stack them in order and work through the pile. I don't have dyslexia, but do have substantial brain fog, especially if I'm fatigued.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    I don’t have dyslexia but mainly use the numbers and tick marks of a tape measure or rule for laying out the beginning of a project. The rest is relative measuring where I am just marking between two points. If measuring is difficult I wonder if there are blank tape measures that can be marked on and cleaned. Also small 1/4” to 3/8” square story sticks may help. The could be batched out of scrap, marked up and thrown out.
    Lee Valley makes one and it's actually quite affordable!

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...e?item=99W7850

I have a friend who is dyslexic, agnostic and an insomniac. He sits up all night wondering if there really is a doG
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-02-2023 at 8:18 PM. Reason: Defaulted text so it's readable on all screen sizes

My younger brother had it. He made it through school by memorizing lists. Give him a spelling test with the same order the study sheet had, and he would ace it. Scramble the order and he failed the test. Latter in life, he concentrated on lists he created, he could memorized the order. Mess up one step and he had difficulty regaining the order of the whole list. Unfortunately he died at the age of 48 from colon cancer. Struggled a lot in his short life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    Anyone out there with Dyslexia? How do you deal with it in WW?
    “Dyslexia” is used to name a number of different difficulties. What one are you referring to?

Specifically, Dyslexia means “difficulty with reading”, but many use it to refer to getting letters or numbers backwards or some other visual spatial mix up. Visual spatial difficulties can include visualisation, which would limit efforts to design and then construction. In my case, it takes a little longer to be sure which side the rebate goes. Check and measure twice, then cut once. Story sticks can be better than tape measures. Draw the plan rather than keep it all in one’s head.

Regards from Perth

Derek