Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Project: Chisel Rack for OmniWall

Jim, one day, probably in 3 or 4 years, I shall be doing the same as you .. building a new workshop from scratch. There is then the opportunity to use the hard-gained experience and design and built the best tool storage that fits our work methods. All very personal.

I agree with you that chisels should be out in the open, where you can grab them. I have tried …

wall storage (wobbly) ..

boxes (difficult to access, best for travel) …

drawers (much of my collection, I can access but not as convenient as the wall) …

but my favourite, and preferred, is to hang the ones I use in a special wall bracket at the back of my bench …

When this was built …

If building from scratch, I would make a version of my drawer - angled like your plane till, with the chisel blades angled away, and all held with rare earth magnets. That is what I was referring to earlier on. Safe, easy to see and easy to access.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I am always eager to win the "clunker" award so I will show mine. "Keep the sharp end covered" is a painful lesson.

IMG_1282.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-04-2023 at 6:16 PM. Reason: image
    Best Regards, Maurice

Derek, I think there's a good reason to both enclosed and open storage for chisels and other tools when one has a large variety of them. The most often used need to be front and center so they are easy to grab and use. The more esoteric tools can leverage enclosed storage that keeps them clean and out of the way during the longer periods of time between use. Since I have so few...the wall will do nicely in this next evolution. I think you nailed this concept with that on-bench rack for your most used items for sure!

BTW, I think I can "fix" the stability a little with the step drill as someone suggested earlier in the thread. I was using one today to solve another problem on another project and confirmed it would do what I need on the chisel rack so that the tools have an actual flat spot to rest in a stable way. I'll take care of that at first opportunity.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mine sit vertically held on by magnets just below the surface. Works like a charm so far, but we'll see what happens in the next big quake. 20220830_080202.jpg

The magnets are a nice idea, Aaron. That's a really nice looking organizer, too!
    --

I’ve read a few times that magnets are a bad idea for chisels and planes when it comes to sharpening. I’ve still not really understood the reason why other than maybe the metal being magnetized makes the removed metal stick during sharpening. Anyway, any concern over this or other factors when it comes to using magnets to hold chisels/planes to their storage rack?

The concern is that the chisel blades become magnetised, and then hold onto the swarf when sharpening. I have several drawers of chisels, all having rested on rare earth magnets for about 18 months now. So far, no issues with sharpening.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The concern is that the chisel blades become magnetised, and then hold onto the swarf when sharpening. I have several drawers of chisels, all having rested on rare earth magnets for about 18 months now. So far, no issues with sharpening.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    And then, BOOM! in the 19th month you open the drawer and all your chisels are stuck together like a bundle of sticks.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 02-05-2023 at 9:31 PM.

Of course they are...they got lonely since you didn't open the drawer for so long and had to cuddle to feel better.
    --

Jim, I think you speak for a pretty large segment of the population!

I wish you lived closer to me I have clear kiln dried red oak stashed everywhere. Years ago my friend and I purchased a tractor trailer load of red oak, we both had kilns in those days so dried red oak for months, most of mine went in a lumber rack in my storage building, the rest was twelve foot long that ended up in my barn that I would love to get rid of because I need the space.

I like the rack you built, your shop looks like it is a great place to work.

Keith, I have a friend (also an occasional Creeker) who is a big user of red oak and I occasionally use it. I'll see if there is any interest and investigate the practicality of a field trip to help you clear the barn.
    --

Not really a chisel guy beyond the basics for cleaning up cutouts, but I love the idea of using the brackets in a custom way to hold what you made. I prefer the pegboard over the french cleat wall stripes and I think this would be a great idea for clamps, squares and other tools. Thanks for the idea.

The plane racks are nice and I plan to build one soon…. But thinking to add a little extra space for a possible future addition or two

Nice to see examples to provide ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... BTW, I think I can "fix" the stability a little with the step drill as someone suggested earlier in the thread...
    I had the same "stability" issue with the first version of a chisel rack I made for my tool cabinet. Quickly found that the chisels would walk their way out of the rack. So I added a relief that the handle sits in and no more problem with them falling out when I open the door.

20230211_160246.jpg
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher