Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to calculate the projection as a function of bevel angle for LN Honing Guide

https://bluesprucetoolworks.com/prod...rpening-square

I understand this thread is about angles between standard (Eg. 25, 30 degrees), but the broader subject is how to set and check angles when sharpening. I came across the Blue Spruce Sharpening Square and just purchased one. I could not find info on it on this forum. Maybe silly purchase as I have been known to buy things I find out later I did not need, but it is because of my lack of still I though this would help me check my work. Just an FYI rather than starting a separate thread. I suppose with this one could check to see if something is in between 2 standard angles, but then it would not tell you the exact angle/

Blog Entries
    I suppose with this one could check to see if something is in between 2 standard angles, but then it would not tell you the exact angle/
    Is there an advantage to knowing the exact angle?

With a bit of use and training your eyes you can be close enough. I like the Veritas guide for ~$10

Veritas-bevel-gauge-u-0301.jpg

Many other retailers sell similar gauges.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you Thomas. Sometimes I wonder why people share anything here. Some of the replies are very discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Verwoest View Post
    Thank you Thomas. Sometimes I wonder why people share anything here. Some of the replies are very discouraging.
    I agree.

I remember in trigonometry class people were saying "I am never going to use this." Years later they claim they went to high school, but it doesn't show.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I agree.

I remember in trigonometry class people were saying "I am never going to use this." Years later they claim they went to high school, but it doesn't show.
    The only trigonometry in my high school math classes was how to use the trig tables and to remember Chief SOH CAH TOA. Geometry was one of my subjects, but trigonometry didn't interest me much until college.

The tables still come in handy at times.

The tables are available on line. A little measuring and some math can work this out easily.

Though the only time the angle on an edge is of much importance to me is when the edge is being renewed on my powered set up.

Not far off subject the book Euclid's Door (Lost Art Press) reveals how a lot of this can be determined without a lot of math.

Tom shows a great set up for setting angles. With something like that one could likely make some shims to vary the setting by a degree or two if so desired.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-08-2023 at 8:29 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I agree.

Thanks for reminding me why I took a long break.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I want to apologize to the forum for posting something that caused controversy. In particular, I apologize for responding directly to most people and answering their objections and criticisms of my post. I held my ground. This served only to continue the controversy, I should have let their and my posts stand on their own merit. That is what I will do in the future. If you ask me to clarify something I will try to answer. A question mark will be my cue to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I want to apologize to the forum for posting something that caused controversy. In particular, I apologize for responding directly to most people and answering their objections and criticisms of my post. I held my ground. This served only to continue the controversy, I should have let their and my posts stand on their own merit. That is what I will do in the future. If you ask me to clarify something I will try to answer. A question mark will be my cue to respond.
    Thomas. Don't get bent out of shape over it. I think its great that you figured out the math equation. Mind you, I still contend I may need my teenager to help me understand it. LOL Some healthy debate and argument is good for a family, even a Sawmill Creek Family. If everyone thought alike and did things the same way, we would never get anywhere new. I personally do not know enough about sharpening to truly make use of your formula, so I'll personally stick to the basic LN provided measurements, but I did save a copy of the math so that one day I can refer back to it if needed. Cheers and again chin up. Greg

I think it was all fine. Someone may have even learned something along the way.

I don't think you did a thing to apologize for Thomas. It seems that pretty much anything around here can be suddenly controversial. More over, I think that a free exchange of ideas is healthy. I also believe that questioning things and disagreeing with thoughts are a fundamental part of that. Unfortunately, things generally devolve into patronization and outright derision far too often.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I don't think you did a thing to apologize for Thomas. It seems that pretty much anything around here can be suddenly controversial. More over, I think that a free exchange of ideas is healthy. I also believe that questioning things and disagreeing with thoughts are a fundamental part of that. Unfortunately, things generally devolve into patronization and outright derision far too often.
    Thank you Mike for responding. I was indeed concerned for you. The thread went off the rails and your reaction was undoubtedly shared by many. It caused me to review my posts and to consider how I might have contributed. I found that I had responded when no response was required. That is what needed apology. For certain, my feelings were not hurt then or now.. Please stay and contribute. You are a valuable member.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Thomas. Don't get bent out of shape over it. I think its great that you figured out the math equation. Mind you, I still contend I may need my teenager to help me understand it. LOL Some healthy debate and argument is good for a family, even a Sawmill Creek Family. If everyone thought alike and did things the same way, we would never get anywhere new. I personally do not know enough about sharpening to truly make use of your formula, so I'll personally stick to the basic LN provided measurements, but I did save a copy of the math so that one day I can refer back to it if needed. Cheers and again chin up. Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Thomas, maybe I should apologize to you if my responses caused you pain.

In open discussions there are going to be many thoughts that do not always align. This is especially true when it comes to the topic of sharpening.

Stay the course, for many mathematical equations can an exciting passion. In my college days they excited me. Now that I'm an old fart, not so much.

jtk